Notice regarding the "Galactic War", potential help

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wizzything, September 7, 2012.

1. wizzything

wizzything New Member

I just wanted to point out that, in terms of procedural galaxy generation, there might be someone who could potentially help you out if you run into problems.

The guy who coded SpaceEngine, a huge part of his engine is even open source, even if it's not the newest version, this might help you out and save you some serious time.
  2. Causeless

Causeless Member

I don't think it would fit with the art style.

I think that they are all fully capable of coding this... even so, I imagine coding a planetary engine must be a lot of fun. Plus, if they code it all themselves, they'll have full knowledge of their own code base, which is a great thing.

Anyways, for Planetary Annihilation it's probably better they use their own one. They are using special coding styles (like, a minimal amount of global variables) in order to allow easier modding and more adaptable coding.
  3. wizzything

wizzything New Member

I was not talking about the art-style, but about the procedural generation, thought that was obvious.
  4. felipec

felipec Active Member

I'm more interested to know if they will add black holes (all galaxies have black holes in their center), super novas (just visual effect?) and other galaxy like features.

Awesome documentary about our universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYDtKKSc0fI
  5. zehusky

zehusky New Member

I feel this can be wrong it is proven that there is a black hole in are center but that doesn't that they all have a center.
  6. syx0

syx0 New Member

As a Physics major, I can confirm that it is wrong to say that black holes exist at the centre of ALL galaxies.
    It is definitely a common situation though.
    Last edited: September 7, 2012
  7. felipec

felipec Active Member

Nice to know, thank you =)
  8. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

When talking about galaxies, I agree I also tend to get somewhat disappointed with your average space game because they simplify away most of the cool and interesting stuff you actually know about in space.

Black holes, Pulsars, Quasars, Nebulae, Supernovas, etc. There's no shortage of cool and interesting things out there in space that the average guy has heard about. But few video games feature the full list, and even those that do have a nasty tendency to simplify things away quite badly in other ways.

Moons for example. Jupiter has 66 of them. Name one video game in the history of mankind that has more than 1 moon per planet. Think about it. Games simplify away the complexity and beauty of space.

And that makes me sad.
  9. zordon

zordon Member

Eve
  10. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

Lol, funny enough I even play EVE online and didn't even think of that one. Yes, it is true, even though artistically, and even game play wise this feature is irrelevant to the vast majority of eve players and often not noticed.

Now name another. Good luck.

And that is just one of the many cool things in space that you miss in your average games. They all tend to go with completely standard boring flat spherical orbits. Things like paired moons so close that they orbit each other as well as orbiting the planet are unheard of. Eccentric orbits of any kind, are unheard of. Binary stars, again unheard of. So many cool and interesting things in space, you just never see in video games.
  11. rmaynard

rmaynard New Member

Doom has Phobos and Deimos, but that's using a real planet as reference. :p
  12. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Sword of the stars II has gas giants with up to 6 moons. Some can even be colonized. Still far from reality, but meets your requirement.
  13. Troak

Troak New Member

Final Fantasy IV
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

For this engine there isn't much we are willing to license.