Nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by LegionDarrath, August 29, 2009.

1. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

Nothing to see here
    Last edited: August 25, 2012
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Re: I don't like these forums >.<

Switch to Opera and make your own CSS style for the forum? There you go, problem solved.
  3. gnats3

gnats3 Member

I like the look, actually.
  4. Col_Jessep

Me too. The only thing that drives me crazy is that the header is not wide enough... :)
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

save for the forum being a thin column in the middle of the screen (wasting space FTL), i like it too.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You think you have it bad, check this out;

My Screen - Warning - Large Image

Mike
  7. gnats3

gnats3 Member

It's pretty much a standard size, isn't it? If it gets too wide, large paragraphs become difficult to read.
  8. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

No thanks, I'm not switching browsers for one forum.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I know what you mean, I mean just look at my screen for example;

My screen - LARGE IMAGE

Mike
  10. Col_Jessep

Well, if this was a vBulletin forum we could just add a new style with different colors and stuff, I could do that in a heartbeat. Dont know if phpBB supports that though...
  11. XShadowStormX

XShadowStormX New Member

Well if you guys don't like certain things, give some major feedback and them maybe we can take a poll over the items one by one.

-Shadow
  12. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We're planning a renovation to the forums. We just wanted to get something up and we got this.
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Do people think vBulletin would be a better choice?
  14. Col_Jessep

I have never worked with phpBB but Ive been admin on two vBulletin forums: supcomuniverse.com and now http://www.insidesupcom.de (SupcomUniverse migrated to Inside a while ago).
    The vBulletin AdminCP is incredible powerful and you can set up things you would never have thought possible with forum software with plug-ins. Setting up new styles for the forum is easy as pie when you know what you are doing as well. You can check out the different styles on Inside SupCom:
    Standard style: http://www.insidesupcom.de/forum.php?styleid=15
    SupComU style: http://www.insidesupcom.de/forum.php?styleid=13
    Demigod style: http://www.insidesupcom.de/forum.php?styleid=12

As you can see we have also full language support for English users, several subforums for different games, modding teams and stuff. And you can actually force a certain style for a subforum, like for seperate games.

Usergroup management is extremely powerful as well. Set up social groups with their own forums, edit user access on every possible level.

Adding avatars, smilies, icons and stuff is easy as well.

And then all the little goodies: You want to allow users to post Youtube vids without allowing html code? Add a new BB code function, takes only a few minutes. Spoiler buttons, thumbnail resize...

The best thing you will absolutely LOVE after a while is the quick reply window at the bottom of each forum, the editor that is far superior to phpBB and the tools to moderate posts.

If you want to check out the AdminCP: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
    I can probably help a little with styles and stuff or answer questions.

PS: Oh, the vB search function actually works as intended too. ;)
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

It sounds very interesting. I'll have someone look into it next week when he gets back from vacation.
  16. Spooky

Spooky Member

As long as it's not the old phpBB version like the GPG forums... I am ok with phpBB too. But vBulletin is way more... convenient overall, imho. This forum already has one major advantage over the GPG forum... a god damn report button! :D

Speaking of forum feedback: the anti spam protection during the registration process is a bit over the top, isn't it? ;P A math question, another question and a captcha, that was very hard to read (in my case... bright letters on bright pink background... I had no clue).
  17. Col_Jessep

I asked a friend of mine at work who had experience with both forum softwares and he said he prefers vBulletin. Its easier for the staff to manage posts and moderate the forum. Personally I love vBulletin because it supports so many cool features, take the cookies for example.

You can select between 3 types of post tracking and the 3rd option will really track every post you have read and store the info on the server, so no matter where you are, you can be absolutely sure you never miss a new post. Much more comfortable than standard tracking where you lose all the info if you switch workstations or close the browser. Will increase server load though.

I know, doesnt sound like the feature of the century but trust me, after 2 years I wouldnt want to miss it for the world.

PS: Please free Spooky from moderation. :)
  18. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

Scathis, as long as it allows me to not have grey text on a grey background (or something equally annoying) its ok :p
  19. Col_Jessep

Phalynx, the owner of inseidesupcom.de found this link:
    http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/phpBB+vBulletin

However, it seems they left out A LOT of functions in order to make the different forum softwares comparable. Might be best if you guys check vB out for yourself.

It seems phpBB also supports different styles and I volunteer to make a style extra for Legion Darrath. It will feature lime green text on a dark purple background for maximal contrast with orange highligts for links and headlines. Im not sure if I will use mucus green or pus yellow for buttons and menus, suggestions are welcome. And Ill also provide the necessary php code to reload it no matter what he selects. :D

PS: I think Spooky is right about the Captcha you are using, its sometimes really hard to deciper and with two custom made questions you should be pretty save. Id give it a try without the Captcha and see how that works.
  20. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

Nothing to see here
    Last edited: August 25, 2012