Nothing is fun on the internet anymore

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by freshfuhrer, April 10, 2012.

1. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

qq thread imminent.
    -
    Lately my bleak outlook on life has festered to a new level. Before I used the internet to pass time. I was never really in great shape, but every day I'd go outside for several hours and stroll about in comfortable clothing. This is when my general hate for the fellow Man developed. Why? These days you can't stroll about in jeans and a T-Shirt without getting weird looks from people. I'm not going to conform to social acceptance by wearing gym shorts and a tank-top and running everywhere. That's not me; I'm a laid-back guy. So I took up swimming, other kinds of exercise, etc. it just grew boring and not interesting in the slightest. I long for the times where the world wasn't polluted, when Man didn't understand the world and when there were places to be free and untracked. If you enter this world, you are "granted" human rights in which you may pay taxes, are tracked unwillingly and have nowhere that you are truly alone. I can't remember the last time I've heard total silence. I can't remember the last time my head didn't ache from the stupidity and ignorance of people, I can't remember, and I'm not eighteen.

Let me reiterate, people infuriate me. I've not seen a shrink because they won't be able to fix me, because I'll never have what I want.

So naturally I drifted more and more into being a social recluse. On the internet, no less, which was fun! For a long time, I played the same set of games, found some friends which I held close and I was happier than usual. Two years or so passed and my click of the socially rebellious started to disappear, so I took to playing those games, Left 4 Dead, TF2, Minecraft etc. alone. Slowly, I realized that these games were made to play with friends because the developers have introduced things that just ruin the game. L4Ds AI is beyond acceptable, so that was out soon. Minecraft just grew old, The End was the killing blow. So, for hours upon hours after my daily commute, I took to Team Fortress.
    It was fine for a while. I even got an unusual, and after some hours of trading, I got loads of keys. Poppycock. I thought having an unusual would be more rewarding. It certainly wasn't and it was for a class I frequented and was good at. I realized Valve likely cared little about TF2; The Eureka Effect broke Arena for God's sake. I played on begrudgingly until I happened upon uberent.com and signed up for the SMNC beta. Soon as I got in, it was great fun. I'd never played a dota-like before, and I enjoyed SMNC so much it naturally lead to me trying other dota-likes. They've essentially become the only thing I play. OHKOs in video games have grown sour on me. Anyhow, I've met some very nice people, but the game has grown, like everything else in my life, boring. I'm not here to rant on about the game, but for some time I hated it, so I took to League of Legends. Alright, the community and the game is bad, but there was a glaring 5,000,000 dollar cash pool that I was interested in. Countless hours later, ground it out to 30, and here we are. So I try a 30 normals and do just fine, least I felt this way. Did a few rankeds and did fine, lost for good reason for some of them, but I was told by a (I believe silver?) ranked player that I had been doing everything wrong.
    I didn't believe him, so I kept trying rankeds. I'm still not rated, and here's why.
    I have been. Not only that, but the community and the game is no different in ranked than it is in normal games. You still have the whiny brats, the blamers and all of that. I may not be great, but I don't stoop that level, at least in game.

So League of Legends is done. Dota 2 doesn't have any hard counters and I am incredibly depressed.
    tl;dr, show me something interesting and new to do that doesn't involve human interaction.
  2. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

There's a web program for it you can play to minimally interact with people as well, although it's laggy.
  3. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

I appreciate the input and I'll give it a try but I've always detested roguelikes. Will report back with findings.
  4. vortexcontinuum

You detest roguelikes?!

Ah well, dieing isn't fun for everyone I guess.
  5. arseface

arseface Post Master General

What kind of singleplayer game are you looking for?

Shooter, Strategy, Turn based, Platformer, Simulation, City Builder, what?

Most games get boring after some time. Are you looking for things that can be exhausted easily that leave a satisfying feeling at the end, or something to fall back on?
  6. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

Anything, particularly anything cheap or free but not flash-based unless it is truly outstanding.
  7. superius

superius New Member

You're not the only one who hates all the stupid aspects of humanity. Not entirely sure what your interests are but as you said you're just looking for something that doesn't relate to human interaction. So, a singleplayer game?

Try Q.U.B.E., it's only 15 bucks on Steam. Visually fascinating, and a decent puzzle game.
  8. vortexcontinuum

Also, I might recommend you read The Fountainhead. Not something to do on the internet, obviously, but it's a good book to read and goes past the commercial fiction we are bombarded with these days.
  9. izachaar

izachaar New Member

Dungeon Defenders. You can play with or without people, and it's very fun. I've always liked the idea of you have a character, and as you play more you make him stronger and unlock new things.

Also, what i've noticed for me in gaming, is if I find something fun, I play it for a couple of weeks, and rotate on games. Main source of depression (least for me) comes from playing one game, and one game only. Variety is the spice of life.
  10. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

I rotate on a bi-monthly basis but only because the games I have played for such a time I have either witnessed turn to horsesh*t or I realized were rotten/bad/boring from the start.
    I haven't read a good book in ages. I'll look for this.
    I know that. I've always been indifferent to the new thing, mostly because I heard of it before anyone in my town did, and then I've grown to hate things I used to love because people come and ruin it.
    Oh my that is expensive. I'll keep it in mind and will surely pick it up if a sale comes around (if it isn't on sale now)
  11. gluteusmaximums

gluteusmaximums New Member

Play Shoot Many Robots with me.

There's no ketchup robots, though.
  12. arseface

arseface Post Master General

There are chances you haven't played some of these, so here goes.

HoM&M3 Best game ever. More singleplayer than you'll likely get anywhere else, you're looking at over 500 hours to do everything.
    Creatures 3 You make a species.
    Call to Power 2 A Civ clone, but apparently better. I've not played either of the games myself, but this comes highly recommended.
    Recettear Far more fun than it has any right to be. You'll get anywhere from 10 to 30 hours out of this.
    Aquaria All the artwork is apparently hand drawn. While I personally get annoyed by the main character, the game is fun.
    Cave Story A 2D platform sidescroller that deserves all the hype it gets. The + version has some icky theft issues, but I bought it before I knew about them. Get the free version on this site.
    World of Goo Fantastic puzzle game.
    Greed Corp A fun little turn based strategy. Has bonus maps available after you've beaten the game.
    Audiosurf One of the better music games out there. A fun game to fall back on since there are both challenging modes and easy ones for when you just want to chill.
    Frozen Synapse While it really shines in multiplayer, the singleplayer campaign is long and you can vary things up in bot matches enough to keep things interesting for quite some time.
    Super Crate Box A good arcadey game. Has the advantage of being free.

And with all steam games, wait for sales.

I've got tons of other games to recommend, but you'd need to be a little more specific.
  13. superius

superius New Member

I meant I did too. Also I don't call $15 expensive, but if you wanna wait for a sale, more power to ya.
  14. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

That game is alright but I need a break. Three hours was enough for a month for me.
    Have considered purchasing.
    Spore is enough of god games for me (and that was hardly a god game. They disinterest me. :S)
    I hate civ.
    Stop quoting here because lazy.
    Recettear - I've heard and played it before.
    Aquaria - I just watched the trailer and the protagonist seems like an overly dramatic Eleanor. Maybe.
    Cave Story - Played the free version. It was okay for a while.
    World of Goo - Was much more interested in the artwork and music. That being said, it was a new and challenging puzzle game. Already played (regretfully as wiiware)
    Greed Corp - Saw the trailer a while ago and wasn't interested. Turn based strategy seems slow and monotonous to me.
    Audiosurf - Played it. Waiting for Audiosurf II
    Frozen Synapse - Expensive. Will buy, waiting for sale.
    Super Crate Box - Seems fun.
    --
    Sorry for not being specific and being very persnickity. I like story driven games with hours of challenging, non-repetitive content, hopefully without unneeded external programs like Windows Live, Steam is alright but its a hassle some times, and without DLC. Very precise and difficult to find, I know.
    My mistake. In any case, $15 is a lot for someone in school with no steady income.
  15. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

Find yourself a girl and play with her.

That should help you out
  16. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

Like I said I hate people. I tried that long ago but there are no women in my area that interest me, mostly because they are all more obsessed (yes, even the ugly ones, I'm not going to sugarcoat it) with material things than a relationship.
  17. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

so buy a hooker, you pay them and they leave, in your case that is a win win situation.

and you dont hate people, you just cant stand peoples wants. you are a simple person.

if you hated people, you wouldnt come on a forum to talk and hear peoples responses.

you are just confused and thats alright too.

get out of your town as much as you can. if you live in a small town. move to a city, if you live in a city, go places you never been before.

Hiding in a cave only makes the world that much stressful on the eyes once you go out into the daylight.
  18. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

In truth I trudge onto the internet to not be judged. When I say I hate people; I mean most people, the common crowd, the followers. There are some other less normal people that I hate but those are specifics, the rest are just sort of there for me. Its not simplistic (though it may be, in honestly I really don't know) its that I am a cold person and I could care less about your problems, your wants and desires.
    I'm not of age to hire a hooker nor move and this is my main issue. I live in a large town. I plan to move to a small population state and get a simple job, or northmost Georgia.

Trust me, I've been in the daylight long enough and I have decided I dislike it. I'm not confused on this.
    Why am I not? Because people have ruined this world. There is no part on the planet that hasn't been touched by pollution. That is disgusting. Sure, using a computer is hurting the environment, but so many people use computers now that even if I did quit it wouldn't make a difference.
  19. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

Oh your a youngin?

yah thats just the teen phase you got going on.

everyone has some kind of deal with that. all those angers will disperse in a few years when you need to actually do things for yourself to survive.

and i know youll not think im right, but its true lol trust me youll be surprised too one day.
  20. freshfuhrer

freshfuhrer New Member

I'll have to see for myself. I've felt this way for a long time because I've always had lots of time to think alone.
    But, I suppose I'll have to see ..