Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by LennardF1989, April 13, 2014.

1. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

So, my grandpa has been diagnosed with this awful decease, he's currently hospitalized and things aren't going very well. If this keeps up, he won't make it till next week.

On top of the things he already had: an aneurysmal in the arteria, for which he got a bypass almost 2-3 years ago of which he was still recovering, and 2 months back a heart operation to "fix" pericardial effusion, the news of also having cancer made him lose complete confidence in his own body: he basically wants to die.

He's too weak for chemo - NHL has the side-effect of completely draining your energy, he can barely move by himself of exhaustion. On top of that, given his "heart condition", chemo isn't even an option as it could cause heart-attacks.

The only hope we have is a prednisone-treatment, which should pep him up, but hasn't done anything significant in the last 4 days (which it should already have).

If he gets out of this "dip", even without treatment, he can still be with us for at least a year (up to 3), but I'm afraid it's all to no avail.

I have no idea why I am writing this, I'm obviously sad, but I can stand above that. But what breaks my heart is seeing this man being so sick, my mother cry and even my grandma...

I feel like **** at the moment.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

*Warm comforting hug*.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This.

My old man had NHL, however, it certainly wasn't as bad as your grandpa's.

My deepest sympathies.
  4. light0

light0 Member

I'm sorry to hear. Had a similar experience recently, it is not easy to see someone close to you suffer. I hope he improves.
  5. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that Lennard. I lost a grandmother to cancer, and never got to meet a grandfather because of it too. I've seen how it can affect a family, but can only try my best to empathize what you're personally going through. I think it's safe to say, on behalf of the uber boards (especially the smnc community), our thoughts and prayers go out to your grandfather, you, and your family.

if you ever need to vent here or on steam, feel free
    Last edited: April 14, 2014
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

If you ever need to talk, like Knickles says, the community is here for you: and I'm -always- on steam if you need a chat. Best of wishes to you and your family during this time
  7. LennardF1989

The hopital decided that further treatment would be of no use, he is currently on his way home, the doctors give him less than a week, it could already be over tomorrow. I'm happy he can die in his own home, but I'm also sad to see him go.
  8. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

That ended up being the case in my own situation. He'll be out of the sterile hospital setting, surrounded by loved ones, and no longer faced with uncertainty. As sad as it is, it's really the best way to share such a tragic event. Stay strong
  9. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I'm so sorry Lennard. I know how difficult this is. {{{{hug}}}} :(
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am more than welcoming for anyone typing their situations here. This is devastating for me to hear having such high reguards torwards you. I always was glad at least they send patients like this home. I have had 2 family members released to stay with us under similar circumstances. I know it is hard, you have my condolences.
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Well, that massively sucks.

Feel for you, yo. Just gonna say I can empathise, this is your thread :)

* hugs *
  12. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

If I get over to the Netherlands again this summer, I'll be sure to come give you a big re-assuring hug
  13. LennardF1989

Thank you everyone for your sympathies, I really appreciate it.

We basically have a open house policy right now. Everyone can walk in and stay as long as they like, talk to him, etcetera. All according to his wishes. At this point, everyone is ready for him to go, but more importantly, he is ready for it too.

Because he doesn't want to kept in a vegetative state which could take up to 5 to 6 weeks before "it" finally happens (even though he won't notice it himself as he would be sleeping through all of it), we requested an euthanasia, which he will be getting tuesday afternoon.

I personally feel this has been the best way to handle the situation. He won't die inside a hospital, but in the comfort of his own trusty home. Everyone got to say their goodbyes, he got to say what he had on his mind, I can drop in and out of his house at any time of day. The last few days have been very dear to me, I will miss him dearly, he knows that, but he also knows why I'll be remembering him.

I would have wanted him "to go" tomorrow, as all he can still do is wave at us and talk (he cant eat, only zips a bit of tea now and then), but paperwork just makes that impossible. So I hope he can still bare the last few days.
  14. LennardF1989

My grandfather has passed away, I've been beside his bed every day for the full week, said my goodbyes, but his health worsened every day that passed.

Visited him this evening, and while an odd experience to have him lie there physically but lifeless, he had some sort of serenity over him, peaceful, carefree. I saw my grandfather as he was 3 years back, with his nicely done hair, fancy sweater and a faint smile on his face.

I'm happy you'll no longer have any pain or worries, but I'll miss you very dearly.
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  15. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I'm glad that your grandfather got to say his goodbyes and go on his own terms. At least in his final moments he was surrounded by his loved ones.

Best of wishes to you and your family, especially your grandmother.