New Vote/Kick System

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by L-Spiro, May 4, 2011.

1. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

So GrenadeIII Arena.
    Their Money Ball was down and I was keeping it that way in my Tank.

A vote was started to kick Zutsumi was started. Although he was something like 20-1 from sniping, it was still pretty clear that he was not cheating and this was a rage vote.

Well, I have to rush to the Money Ball after each death. I dont have time to vote, I thought.
    Until almost everyone else voted Yes. Now I cant be certain that he would have been kicked if I had not voted No, but it sure seemed that way, so half-way to the Money Ball in my fatty I stop and hit M.

Almost as soon as I do this an Assassin comes up and grapples me.
    No problem as long as I can hurry.
    Damn if only I could hit buttons to navigate these menus quickly!
    Quick! Get my mouse over No and click. Come on on.

By this point the grapple itself was over and my life was at around half.
    I still have time to deal with this Assassin AND reach the Money Ball for a tap. Oh GOD the act of voting didnt take me out of the Action Menu?? I should be back in the game now spinning and charging this little fly!!

Meanwhile, Slash slash slash, said the Assassin.

I have to hit that little Close button down there? My health is almost gone!! I dont time to navigate a mouse with care!
    * L. Spiro lifts hand off normal keys and quickly taps Escape.
    * L. Spiro in a hurry misses the normal keys and is unable to follow Deathblossom with a Charge, instead accidentally pressing the next key over.
    * L. Spiro dies and is unable to reach the Money Ball before it goes back up.
    * Although the game still resulted in victory, it dragged on for another 10 minutes to get it.

Now, you can navigate the menus with the keyboard as I found out through a few following rage votes (none of which passed).
    It defaults to No and you can hit Space to quickly select No. As for Yes, arrows keys might work to change the active button, but I havent been able to confirm yet.

But:
    #1: After voting No (or Yes), we shouldnt be taken back to the Action Menu. We want to get back in the game.
    #2: It should never be assumed that we have time to load a menu at all anyway.
    -> a: You may think, It is fast enough if you remember the keys to vote and just perform them quickly. Which is just not true for high-pinging players who have to wait for each screen to appear before the appropriate buttons can be hit. Maybe that 50-pinger can whiz through the menus, but some people have to deal with 250 milliseconds between menus.
    -> b: Well you should vote inside your base anyway. This is why I explained my long story. It should never be assumed we have time to load menus at all, whether safely in our bases or not. When the Money Ball is breached some people have one duty: Get over there and keep it down at all costs. A 250-ping player has to wait nearly a second to get out of the menus and put his fingers back on the keys.
    And what about that guy racking up a kill streak? He wont even be in his base by the end of the vote. Waste time finding a secure area? Accept a death in exchange for voting?

In response to #2, Ctrl-Y and Ctrl-N should be the default hotkeys for voting.

Also, it should show the name of the person who started the vote.
    That way we can kick people who are abusing the voting system.

L. Spiro
  2. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Agreed.
  3. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Damn, that was a wild story to read through in order get to the point, eventually. :lol:

I'll agree that having to use shortcuts to instantly vote Yes/No, rather than something that is like 'Oh, you voted Yes? *pop up new menu* Are you SURE you want to vote yes? FFFFUUUUUU'.

Also, people should be made more aware that they can actually vote 'No'. I never realised there was such an option until somebody came along and did it, and that is a problem. The way the message is, it makes me think that by pressing M, I'm going to indefinitely vote yes.

Also, I wouldn't agree with showing the name of the kick starter. As long as the vote doesn't go through, then what's the problem? What happens if someone instantly decides to initiate a kick against the guy who's trying to kick him, abuser or not? There's too much potential for huge drama and QQ which would just sour up the match for everyone.
  4. killien

killien Active Member

Every time a votekick has come up, I've been able to hit M, vote Yes/No, then hit M again to close it
  5. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

FYI, voting "no" and not voting at all are the same thing. What the system is really looking for is the critical threshold of "yes" votes.
  6. Skull Man

Skull Man New Member

I still believe that too many votes are required to pass a 'kick' - I believe a 12 person game requires 8 yes votes. Oftentimes, the winning team doesn't seem to want to kick a grief'er or an AFK on the other team. But yeah, I know that if we lower the number of votes required, we'd unfortunately be increasing 'rage kicks' - I dunno...it's a difficult balance, haha.

As of today though, I have yet to see a 'vote kick' get passed, and there's been probably around ten instances in which the kick was necessary.
  7. Skull Man

Skull Man New Member

Although this would definitely complicate the system, perhaps the team that has the player that is being 'kicked' will have more voting power. Say, if four people from the kick-player's team vote yes, the player gets kicked, and if eight people in total vote yes, the player also gets kicked.
  8. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

Horrible system, breaks flow of game, left4dead does it much better, only one key button press is needed for any vote, F1 to vote yes, F2 to vote no, mnc should simplify the vote system.
  9. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

Problem with current system is you need the opponents permission to kick, and for them to kick they would need an explanation since they cant see whats going wrong from their side. This means you have to stop playing and explain to the otherside but during heat of battle people miss the message.

Trying to start a vote is a waste of time for now.
  10. killien

killien Active Member

With my keyset, F1/F2 are nowhere near my fingers, so those for Yes/No would be even worse for me
    Since you can remap the ActionMenu key to whatever, it's easy to set it to something nearby where you only have to move your finger one key

I use YGHJ, move finger from J to M, return from M to J, click Yes/No, move finger from J to M again
    Isn't perfect but pretty quick.

Don't forget that ActionMenu key also opens up the kickvote and mute options
  11. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

I would expect whatever hotkeys they use to be assignable so you can change them.
    Until then M, Left Arrow, Space, M is the fastest thing we have, I think.
    But not sure if it works since I dont get many votes for testing.

And it is nice to know that not voting is the same as voting No.

L. Spiro
  12. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Ctrl + Any key shouldn't be a hot key for anything. You know, it activates juice.
  13. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

And the same thing (rebinding keys) would not work with f1 f2 yes/no system?

I have to disagree with you here, I shouldn't have to have a popup completely block my screen and immobilize my character in order to vote no on that rage kick.
  14. killien

killien Active Member

Probably wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't bug me much