New Super Weapon Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cody8598, March 31, 2014.

?

How do you find this Idea?

1. I like it

30.6%
  2. Nah it's not good

69.4%
  1. cody8598

cody8598 New Member

Hello ,
    I just wanted to say that I've got an Idea for a new super weapon
    Idea:
    -You can dig a tunnel to the planet's core with tunnel parts wich can only be build by advanced fabrication bots/vehicles etc...
    -Number of Tunnel pieces pending on the Planets size
    -If the tunnel is deep enough, a advanced fabrication unit can go down there, to place a Anti-Matter Bomb, wich will explode if the player wants to, with a new button on the left side or smth. like that
    -The Anti-Matter bomb will blow up the complete planet
    I know that the planet smashing tactic is almost as effective as that but I think it would look really nice and it would be a great addition
    Also I hope the developers will see this and may my Idea will be added :)
    And sorry for my english I'm from germany :).
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you know that beyond a couple miles deep there's only lava right?
    [​IMG]
    zweistein000 likes this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

We've had a few interesting *drill to the core and blow it up* ideas before, and though it sounds cool, it won't work well in PA for a few reasons:

First, the gameplay mechanic of building halleys on someone else's planet is ridiculously hard. Someone could just nuke them three times in the time it takes you to build them. This would be about the same as what you are describing, except you are only destroying the planet. In other words, you would almost never be able to pull it off, unless the other guy is completely afk.

Second, WHY THE HECK would you want to blow up your own planet?? *I don't have the smash moon*
    Oh. Well. No. Sorry. Smashing people is what puts the "AWESOME" into the title "PLANETARY ANNIHILATION"

So yeah.....get to the smash moon!

It would also be pretty lame for someone to do this on a single planet system. It would be like a nuke in CoD. If you get one and use it, they definitely deserved that, but it's really no fun anyway.
  4. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I believe there should be a way to narrow the playing field by eliminating maps.
    I do think we should be given a method to destroy an unmovable planet being that the name of the game is planetary annihilation. Currently we can only destroy moons and asteroids.

I had a similar suggestion last week:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/suggestion-core-destruction.58287/
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi Cody, thanks for the contribution- I can see some interesting ideas for tunnels and so on. I'm not keen on them being used to blow the planet up however, as the game feels (to me at least) that it's getting a bit too focused on super weapons. Now tunnels that allow you to launch a 'sneak attack' and pour units into the middle of your opponents base (Command and Conquer Generals style) could be great fun although I'm not expecting anything like that in the core game. As for realism Tatsujb- PA takes quite a bit of artistic licence in that regard so it's no infeasible from that point of view imo.
  6. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Players do it all the time when their starting planet is a moon.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

That's different. You are killing someone else's planet with your own. This is just a *let's blow it up* mechanic.
  8. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Would the destruction of the main planet also destroy all moons orbiting it?
    Or would the moons find a new orbit?

If killing the planet kills all orbiting moons, then it would give the player on the main planet as much or more power than those on small moons. It would no longer be a different mechanic.
  9. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

it is a nice idea, but now as nice as smashing planets
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Oh well, it reminded me of this:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/messines.htm

"The effect of the mine explosions upon the German defenders was devastating. Some 10,000 men were killed during the explosion alone."

Tunnels and underground mines had been used for ages in war. But I'm afraid it won't work very well in PA.
  11. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

Tunneling superweapon may not work, but borrowable units may
  12. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Star Trek with the red matter device to implode the planet Vulcan.

Think its a neat idea but sounds bit too difficult technically to do.
    melhem19 likes this.
  13. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

we need a death star cannon. to annihilate a planet but takes 20 min tobuild.
  14. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Already going to happen, metal planets are going to become Death Stars.
    It's gonna be awesome.
    Maybe.
  15. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

They are thinking of allowing us to use Halley's to change a planet's orbit.
    Imagine having an asteroid base with 20+ nukes ready to launch; move it into orbit of a planet and start launching at it. That would be pretty close to a death star.
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I like the idea. Some kind of drilling station that build a very very expensive drill which will digg to the core and explode the planet!!! ^^ (Cuz exploding planets are cool as well)

I only think it will fail for a gameplay perspective because you will need to be defending it for ages unless you have 300 engineers and the economy for that on another planet.
  17. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

Ah. Good old earth. The only planet to have ever existed
    aevs, tehtrekd and boylobster like this.
  18. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

we can already do that
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

oh yeah, as soon as we take any other planet in the system suddenly this doesn't apply.....

actually you'll find this is a majority case. even our moon has a partially molten interior.
  20. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Really?
    I didn't think that this was implemented yet. Will try tonight.