New Project: TheSeeker's Unit Builder/Scripter (FOR TA/PA!)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by theseeker2, April 9, 2013.

?

Would you like to see an autoscripter for units?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. It takes the fun out of making units!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I'm particularly looking for Uber's response to this, after the completion of this, I plan on immediately doing a PA version, eventually tying all 3 games into it, TA, SupCom, and PA. http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43399
    Development will commence over the weekend, with the GUI.
    Is it something Uber was planning for PA anyways? I also want to see how many of you would like to see an autoscripter/unit builder.
    And for all you customization lovers, I plan to allow plugins, so one could download texture/"unit part" packs from an online database.
    The survey was for a rough idea, if you have any skepticism, suggestions, or help to offer, please, share them :D
    Last edited: April 10, 2013
  2. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

Re: New Project: TheSeeker's Unit AutoScripter (FOR TA/PA!)

I think you should more clearly label your topic as a unit creation tool as many people probably dont know the term autoscripter, like me.

Id like to see the project however im not sure lego building units should really be in your perview as it tends to get a lit of low quality mish mash blob type stuff. however the ability to see bones and define them automaticaly in a model viewer of some sort would be neat.

Would you also be planning on including an effects and projectile editor so that people can work in their own weapons?
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Like yogurt312, I have no idea what this thing is.
  4. neapolitanfrenchfrie

neapolitanfrenchfrie Well-Known Member

Uggh please don't use java, java GUIs generally are just hideous.
    And also, this seems a little bit infeasible. I'm assuming the units will have to be some sort of maya or 3dsmax file, and I don't think you can really "generate" one using Java, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited: April 10, 2013
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yup.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is something akin to the unit editor from the Stacraft Map editor(thought I only have experience with the Original, not SCII)

If that Is the case, as a Modder I honestly don't care, because the Code is likely to be much more powerful then a GUI front-end could be.

Mike
  6. elitebomber

elitebomber New Member

It sounds like his proposed front-end would just be calling into the back-end with the goal of abstracting unit creation, making it possible for less program-savvy individuals to take part in unit creation.

You should definitely make the app a deployable web app with a Silverlight front-end. I heard everyone loves Silverlight.
  7. comham

comham Active Member

Yeah, "Autoscripter" isn't very descriptive even to someone familiar with mods and modding. From the title I thought it was to do with giving macro scripted commands to units.

But, sure, go ahead and make it. I'd like to see a Warzone 2100 unit builder for PA.
  8. theseeker2

Basically, you take a unit you built (or had a version generated) and will allow you to set turret turn speed, weapon RoF, damage, etc. all automatically. LazyScripter in TA was somewhat like this, but it lacked many features, and after the script was done, nothing else was automated
  9. theseeker2

Yeah, doing it manually will always be better than automation, but there are some people out there without time time to put much work into modding their own units.
  10. theseeker2

I'm not aiming for beautiful, I'm aiming for functional.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

An easy editor to tweak units and automatically create a mod out of it would be quite helpful I guess. But it is pretty hard to make a good one. Honestly I doubt somebody who is just learning java will produce a really good piece of software in the end.

on that note:
    It is quit possible to make nice GUIs with Java, you just need to use the right libraries and be good with it. Kinda like with every other language there is.

ymmd
  12. neapolitanfrenchfrie

Re: New Project: TheSeeker's Unit Builder/Scripter (FOR TA/P

You really only have a few legitimate java libraries for GUIs. And also, I don't think there's any way to generate a Maya or 3ds max model using Java, although I may be wrong.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't see why it should be impossible to read the documentation of those formats and write a library for them. No matter what language you are using.

Also does anybody actually know already what kind of format the unit-models will be in?
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not that I know of, last I recall Neutrino saying is that they were looking at .fbx.

Mike
  15. neapolitanfrenchfrie

Yeah, I was just looking through the fbx documentation, seems somewhat feasible. Just would be a pretty huge project for someone learning Java.
    EDIT: seems like fbx has a library for c++ or python. If theseeker used C++ it would make his life a ton easier on this project. Besides, C++ isn't too far from Java
  16. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

I was actually planning on something like this too, though web-based, so that beginners could easily generate the units that they want and export it automatically into a mod. We totally have to make two competing unit creators =D
  17. theseeker2

If I can't figure out a method for autogeneration... Let's go with labor intensive manual modeling! Daily updates here we come! For the moment being, gui will be the hardest part, I only have to make the script once, and rely on user input for the rest. I do have one question... TA didn't store unit damage values, HP, and a lot of other unit stats in the script... Where did TA store them?
  18. theseeker2

Inefficient, working together would be faster, and scrapping the web idea means I don't have to learn how to maintain a linux server!
  19. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

We can totally share code/designs, though I wanna make it cross-platform and easy to share. We may have different visions too (and I may give up half-way into it =P)