New players pls: Joining the big clans is bad for you

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, January 11, 2015.

1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Because:

1. They will not let you represent them in tournaments, since they will have players 100 times better than you, who will rightfully be chosen over you to represent the clan

2. They will spoonfeed you tactics and shortcuts, instead of letting you figure them out for yourself or with players at your level, thus spoiling the dimension of discovery that is so important in videogames (more on which here: http://culture.vg/features/art-theory/against-the-metagame.html)

In conclusion: Either join a smaller clan, which will allow you to grow as a player more slowly and organically, and give you ample opportunities to play in tournaments which are so much fun, or make your own clan.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood icycalm.
    jeffrobot and Zaphys like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Agreed, dang you Realm stealing all the players. :)

@cwarner7264 you thiefing bugger! :D
    websterx01 likes this.
  3. icycalm

Team Burning too. There is no reason to have a 75-member clan in a game with only 5 clans dammit! Don't they want more clans to play against? They are shooting themselves in the foot when they continue to vacuum up everyone. And all for what? If you will believe me, for a megalomania that enjoys seeing a lot of tiny little icons in their Steam group profile. That is what's sitting at the bottom of all this, if you will listen to an old psychologist like me.
    jeffrobot likes this.
  4. squishypon3

Is five including the basically dead NOVA clan? :p
    icycalm likes this.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Joining the big clans is a horrible idea! Join AIx with your smurf to get the best clan experience possible!
    zihuatanejo, elodea, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

ಠ_ಠ
  7. reptarking

I'm sorry for leaving RLM and you losing your Uber 22 player. Your clan will never be the same you only now have 10 or so Uber players
    icycalm likes this.
  8. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I always feel good when I defeat members of big clans :p
    Jackbandanna likes this.
  9. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

lol the Promethean does loads of games just for fun and rarely practices seriously. We've only recently gained so many members that we can do a 3v3 in-clan more than once a week. I think we have ~30 members, but probably like ~20 active. But I guess we do feed our new recruits a bit of strategy :p
  10. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Anyone from the Realm can play in any tournaments they like, preferably with a Realm tag! For clan wars, the signups were time-limited, so if you were to join now you wouldn't be able to play (as far as I know), same for any clan.

You're never forced to attend any sort of "training" in the Realm. We offer to help improve peoples skill level, but it's in no way mandatory! Some other clans have a minimum skill level requirement, and will actively try to get members top of the leaderboards, the Realm doesn't have or do that, anyone is welcome to join. We've even had people join and then play Galactic War and games against AI, they've just enjoyed being around others playing the same game :)
    elodea, websterx01, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  11. icycalm

custard, so if I join your clan, you will let me play IN EVERY SINGLE TEAM-BASED TOURNAMENT AND MATCH then? Because if so, I am disbanding my clan immediately and joining you.

But that's precisely what new players can do if they start their own clans or join the smaller ones.

Also, it is impossible to join a big clan, ask to represent them in tournaments, and NOT be forcefed tactics. Merely by playing in the same team with Uber and Platinum players will make you take tactics and strategies from them which would have taken you months to develop on your own, or when playing with players at your level. It's unavoidable, and "training" has nothing to do with it.
    jeffrobot likes this.
  12. squishypon3

Nah don't worry you're fine @cwarner7264

Even if you are an evil thief! ;)
  13. icycalm

also, custard, how about, in the Cult vs Realm game on Clan Wars, you throw at us the least experienced players in your Clan Wars roster? The ones who haven't played a single Clan Wars match so far? Silver or Gold-level players for example? I am sure you have a few of them in that 50+ player roster.

If what you say is true, that you will let everyone participate in tournaments, why don't you do that? And maybe we'll get a chance to win a match, and Realm will lose points that they could have easily gained, and a less altruistic clan will take the no.1 spot on Clan Wars as a result.

How about that dude?
    jeffrobot likes this.
  14. reptarking

RLM's Clan war team was based off of who wanted to play and who showed up intime before each event.
    mot9001 and elodea like this.
  15. icycalm

I don't buy that. I would show up for every game, if I was in your clan, but you would still prefer better players over me, and with good reason.
    jeffrobot likes this.
  16. icycalm

And maybe less experienced players do not show up PRECISELY because they know the Realm has Uber level players, and won't allow beginners and intermediates to represent them.
    jeffrobot likes this.
  17. reptarking

In AIx its going to be based off of who has the coolest name gets to play, as there smurfs results mean little to nothing to us. we play for style and fun points
    elodea, xankar and Alpha2546 like this.
  18. icycalm

So we could have clopse vs clopsey matches?
    jeffrobot likes this.
  19. reptarking

No were gonna see AIxCharlieTheUnicorn teamed up with AIxMrT and some other smurfy name. I do have regular members like AIxHotRage, myself, and logantron
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I'm a bronze-silver level player. I was offered a spot in the Clan Wars for practice and even actual play, yet I didn't choose to because I'm not interested enough. The people who are most interested in playing, especially competitively are usually better players because they play so much. The most active players in the RLM (at least in competitions) is generally fairly high level players.

And as far as I know, if you show up for a tournament and show a genuine interest in playing, you'll get to play.
    Murcanic, Nicb1 and cptconundrum like this.