New Biome Idea: City Ruins

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by v41gr, April 16, 2013.

1. v41gr

v41gr Member

all in the title.

It could be great to see on some planets some areas with ruins of high skyscrapers; buildings and parks which are destroyed; there would be a fog above those ruins; with perhaps something like acid rain which could damage the player's units.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    pheagey, tssha and cmdandy like this.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Metal Biomes.
    Last edited: April 16, 2013
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Personally, I consider metal planets and city ruins to be different things entirely.
    lordxanos likes this.
  4. nanolathe

Within the context of this game, Metal Biomes and 'City Ruins' are the same thing.

They are Robots. They built their 'cities' out of metal. Some 'city biomes' were so big they covered the entire surface of a globe... or were constructed entirely from scratch; we call those 'Metal Planets'.
  5. comham

comham Active Member

They were totally different in TA though. If TA had streaming resources from reclaiming, they probably would have been smoother to play.

And blah blah lore blah lore, at one point there were humans, so seeing wrecked city biomes occasionally is totally justifiable. It's a nice opportunity to have some environmental lights as well; flickering fires inside skyscrapers and sparking neon lights.
  6. v41gr

v41gr Member

metal planets would be like the death star, won't they(Or am I mistaking?); whereas this will be especially made for ruins; not only metal but also destroyed concrete walls; just have a look at Wh40kD0W or this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4
  7. v41gr

v41gr Member

^^that's kinda true;
    but i was think of ancient human ruins
  8. nanolathe

The Age of Humanity has Long Past.

Anything built by a human has potentially ground into dust by this point.
    Human-like city remains are only justifiable if the 'Age of Humanity' that has 'Long Past' is, in fact, relatively recent.
  9. syox

syox Member

Where do you get all your knowledge from?

Sp building a city or a building out of Metal is the best(i.e. most rational) choice?
  10. nanolathe

Who said the Robots were completely rational?

I'm imagining many of them being insane after several thousand years of Forever War.
  11. Moranic

Moranic Member

I guess even thought the 'Age of Humanity is long past', city ruins would kinda fit in the game. It would be nice to see some remnants of the creators of the robots. I don't think there should be acid rain though. That way it makes it a horrible place to go and therefore uninteresting. Maybe these buildings could pose as reclaimable mass?
    lordxanos likes this.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Urban ruins existed in TA as a way to have lots of reclaimable stuff with poor quality deposits. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's all given to one team and they use it to roll the map.
  13. Biestie

Biestie Member

I like thie idea and can't see any point why this should be a no go. There are no critical lore problems with that.
  14. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Sounds like a cool mod idea or "after release update" idea.
  15. nanolathe

After release I can cope with.
  16. v41gr

v41gr Member

thanks ^^
  17. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

I totally agree with City Biomes there where once humans and seeing wrecked cities would be so much fun especially if it was destructible terrain seeing a half broken skyscraper fall over would be fun
  18. v41gr

v41gr Member

thanks ^^; that was exactly what i was thinking about
  19. Daddie

Daddie Member

My first reaction was: not another Biome topic.. but it sunk in and I really like the idea. But I guess buildings and roads can be placed into any Biome, not really a "new" Biome needed.
  20. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Its kinda a new biome, since creating city buildings and stuff that belongs to a city will be a lot of work. You need new groundtextures (streets etc.) and have to set the whole thing up to look at least a bit believable like a city, which can be some work if its procedurally generated.

But yeah, fighting in a city sounds cool to me. New biome for the expansion pack. :)