Need Help: Windows Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by GheP, February 4, 2011.

1. GheP

GheP New Member

Hi, I am brand new to MNC and the Unreal 3 engine. I am an avid gamer on the Half Life and Half Life 2 engines and have run dedicated servers from both.

I want to run an MNC server for my own personal use to test out strategies, learn maps/angles/paths with no opponents or just my friends with a password.

I also want to just run a dedicated server just to say that I have done it! :D

Can anyone point me to a tutorial? I have searched google and these boards, but can only find out how to run the batch command to launch the server. Do I have to get Unreal 3 from somewhere else and install MNC over it like a mod?

HALP! <3
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Go to Create Server in Multiplayer and there's a check for Dedicated Server. Check that and hit Start Game. That will launch a Dedicated Server, and then run the game again to connect to it. If you don't have your ports forwarded your server will show up in the LAN Tab.
  3. GheP

GheP New Member

lol i didn't sleep much last night. thanks, didn't think of that.

blond moment.
  4. GheP

GheP New Member

So, I create my own server and click start. It just sits there "waiting for other players". how do i bypass this and just play the map by myself to learn all the jumps/etc.?
  5. feroxium

feroxium New Member

You could just play single player for learning ;)
  6. GheP

GheP New Member

for single player you can only play blitz mode. i want to play crossfire mode.

also, if i just join an empty server, people always join and begin to shoot at me.

help!
  7. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

With the latest patch, you can start a password protected server and set minimum to start to 1 player. It's a good way to check out the maps and practice in Crossfire.
  8. GheP

GheP New Member

**EDIT** Nevermind! I figured it out! You need to go to one of the batch files supplied when you run the HLDSupdatetool. Go to dir\binaries\win32 (or whichever OS) and right click one of the "mncds - instance x" files and go to "edit." Then find the command called "MinNumToStart=6" and change the value to "1". Presto!

Ok, I've got everything working on my server now. How do you set the minimum to start to 1 player? I can only sit in the lobby "waiting for players..."

Your help is appreciated! :D
  9. Xevo

Xevo New Member

On the topic of settings help, I am still trying to get a list of all the map names. I specifically want to run Blitz in my rotation, and at times run a Blitz-only server, but I need the "DLC1_x" map names in order to do so.

Apparently one way to get this would be to open the game package in Unreal Editor, but you must own Unreal Tournament 3 to use it, and I don't currently have the game. Can anyone help?