Naval seriously over powered

Discussion in 'Support!' started by penchu, June 8, 2013.

1. penchu

penchu Member

I have only had a few games but it seems that Naval units have a massive advantage over all units, this includes firing range, and power, you can happily sit back and bombard another persons base without any fire back from a third of the way around the planet, seems a bit over powered in my opinion. has anyone else noticed this?
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Are people really trying to "Win" a game at this point?
    What a waste of time that could be being spent locking down one of the 450+ bugs already logged in the BugTracker.

If you want to do something useful, find an unconfirmed bug here and help confirm it by testing it about 5 times.
    Then post a comment on that bug with the steps you used to reproduce it and the likelihood of the bug re-occurring due to those steps.

Cheers! :D
  3. penchu

penchu Member

I thought the point of finding the bugs was to play the game how you normally would :p that means winning
  4. nanolathe

No... no you should not be playing "normally".

You're supposed to actively be trying to break the game, not pretend it's a released version.
  5. hunterx

hunterx New Member

The rules and expectations thread says that discussion of game balance is permitted on this board, and presumably the only way to make any judgements on balance is to 'play normally'.

I understand that the main focus of the alpha phase is bug-fixing and that every bug report helps (having verified a few myself), but to my knowledge players are not contractually obligated to play the game in any specific way during this phase. If people want to play a competitive game on the current build regardless of the bugs or feature-incompleteness there is no rule saying they aren't allowed to do that.
  6. nanolathe

Sure. If you want to do it that way I can't actually STOP you.

I merely suggest you help us out...

There are over 380 open bugs at the present time... over 300 of them need further testing to confirm their status as more than a fluke.
  7. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

+1 This, there are far too many people whom just assume the game is to be played for fun instead of people whom are actual testers.
  8. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Nano, do you know if recording a session via video is something Uber might be interested in too? So they can "see" where and what happened in addition to the bug tracker information? I guess watching a gamevid might take too much time though...

P.S.: Being a tester is actually a lot of fun, there are some seriously funny bugs out there ^^
  9. nanolathe

Videos do indeed take a long time to watch. I can not speak on behalf of Uber but the BugTracker supports uploading MP4s and other common video formats.

If the ONLY way to show the bug in action is to record it... then record it :p
  10. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Ok cool, did not know that you can include MP4s into the bugtracker, nice!
  11. Baleur

Baleur Member

Is this a joke?
    The T1 anti-air ships have like 2 meter range. Hardly overpowered.
  12. nanolathe

Any thread on balance is a joke at this stage ;)
  13. logarythme

logarythme New Member

I think that you can't expect everyone to test the bugs and report. People normally get paid to do that... We paid 90$ (at least). But a big thanks to those who have to moral fortitude to do it ;)
  14. hunterx

hunterx New Member

I find it interesting that pre-release, people were advised to expect nothing for the alpha and be pleasantly surprised with what they have rather than expect everything and be disappointed that it doesn't meet their expectations; yet now people seem to be expecting everything with regards to bug reporting and getting upset that some people don't play it the way they want, rather than expecting nothing and being happy that as many people as there have been chose to help report bugs.

I have been reporting bugs when I encounter them and will continue to do so throughout the alpha and beta phases, but until one of the Uber team show up and tell me that players are required to do nothing but bug test I'm not going to criticise those who want to play regular matches. Not to mention the fact that some bugs may be hard to find through non-gameplay testing (for example, unexpected responses when the server needs to compute two large, mixed-unit armies attacking one another).
  15. nanolathe

I can ask my opponent to build a specific mix of units and get them to a place at a specific time. If my opponent is actually interested in testing then he can easily help me.

It's people who think the game is about "Winning" and "Balance" at this stage that make it HARDER to test bugs. :|
  16. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Like all units, Naval units have pros and cons.

Pros:
    -Naval units do have longer range, but they need to be able to bombard bases from the water
    -Naval units do more damage.
    -Navel units have more hit points than normal units.

Cons:
    -They can only go on water, greatly limiting the area they can go.
    -They cost more. On average Naval fabbers/factories use 40% more metal and energy.
    -They move slowly and have slow turn rates.
    -Their anti-air capabilities are fairly limited.

Try responding with a different strategy and you'll probably find more success.
    knickles likes this.
  17. chjees

chjees New Member

On "balance": I feel like all units right now are made out of rice paper and strung together with chewing gum :p. (I know it's alpha)
    What final balance do the PA team aim for? Squishy units or massive meat mountains?
  18. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Depends on the unit. Should be a nice mix of all of it.
    knickles likes this.
  19. vipar

vipar New Member

Yeah I ran into some Electric Towers and they roasted my tanks in no time. Didn't really make any sense that they would die THIS FAST given how easy it is to obtain these anti-ground towers.
  20. astrofox624

astrofox624 New Member

Invisible army for the win! (now where did I leave my base...) :lol: