Narrator in PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zeitgeber, September 7, 2012.

1. zeitgeber

zeitgeber New Member

Ok, just read the galactic war update, looks pretty awesome.

My question here is regarding the narration of the PA universe. Loved the narrator from the first TA and am thrilled to see him back. My question is, when do we get to hear him speak? (if there's already a thread about this or I've missed an update on this, I apologise)

In the introduction for sure, but without a traditional single player campaign (I think the galactic map is a better concept btw), we'll mostly be fighting without him.

Suggestions:

i) The narrator could sketch the outline of the PA universe and the history of the war in the lobby of single or multiplayer games, with the content/ story depending on the type of map/ planets. Ie, if there's a metal planet then a short story about these in the past, where they might have come from etc. So you could stay and listen like in TA, or just skip ahead to the battle. Or just general war stories (ie: on such and such world, forces x were greatly out numbered, etc)

ii) Triggered in game narrator for single player, possibly initiated by the player similar to the recordings you pick up in Bio Shock. You land on a massive water planet, and an option comes up and the narrator gives a spiel about the lurking depths of these mysterious, perilous worlds whose cores are filled with the wreckage of countless battles of times past.

iii) Short stories about the wider conflict, history of the war as unlockable achievements based on what planets you've colonized or weapons you've built. Listen to them in game while you're playing. Plus about this one is they wouldn't repeat: you can only colonize a water planet for the first time once.

Ok, I'm just spit balling, ideas, suggestions?

Really want to hear that narrator!
  2. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I don't know of anything official on the subject beyond the obvious that he is a part of their team. And I freely admit, I was pretty excited. I recognized him as the narrator from TA instantly, I hadn't even looked at the screen yet to see what I was looking at.

And I am wondering a bit what he is going to be narrating since they are opting to go for a randomly generated campaign style, so I'm not sure where narration will fit into that model. Maybe there will be a PA-o-pedia with unit descriptions and audio narration there? I don't know really.

Nor do I care. Well that's a lie, I do care. But I'm just not worried about it. I'm sure they'll do something cool. We know he's on their staff, he will no doubt be narrating something. I'm sure they'll find a good place to put this in the game. I don't need to know what the story will be. I don't need to hear the narration.

Not yet.
  3. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I wonder if his voice would be suitable for ingame warnings (nuclear launch detected, commander under attack, etc)? Traditionally it's a female voice for that sort of thing, but hopefully Uber will try him out and see if it works.
  4. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

CABAL did a pretty good job at it, as did the NOD announcer in C&C3.