Name Planets after the backers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by snidoom, August 21, 2012.

1. snidoom

snidoom New Member

Hi

I think it would be a good idea to put the names of all the backers ingame, because the lower pledge tiers are essentially just very early preorders which is kind of lame...

And since the planets have to be named anyway (to talk about the map ingame with your teammates), why not just name the planets after the backers? Like "[XCP-9563] Col_Jessep" or "[LKJGS-654] FunkOff" or any other naming-scheme containing the backer name.
    The names would be randomly assigned as the Map/Planet is generated giving every backer a (somewhat tiny) chance of building a base on their own planet or crashing the one of an archenemy right into the sun. [You could get an achievement for that...]

It would also make pledging more attractive and distinguish it from being "just a preorder".

And to not make the credits entry of the >100$ tiers less attractive, their names could be used to name the stars/solar systems or other prominent features of the map/system.

Of course somebody at Uber would have to check all names for offensive language and such (I feel sorry for that guy if this gets into the game :p ) but over all it would be a pretty cheap and easy way to get more backers.

What do you think?

Edit:

Before you object because of inappropirate names: (how do I link to this instead of quoting?)
    Last edited: August 21, 2012
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Funny idea imho.
    Reminds me of namr in SupCom.

[​IMG]

make it a 150 to 200$ tier and I am in.

Planets could be named like

XYZ' Revenge. ;)
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Something like this could actually be kinda neat, when you generate a/the planet(s) it randomly selects names from the pool, you'd still have the option of punching in your own thought.

Mike
  4. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

I like this idea.

I realize the worlds will be procedurally generated, but I'm kind of assuming a certain number of system names and or planets will actually be pre-generated to help with faster loading times and whatnot.

Besides, I'd get a real kick out of seeing planet "Zuberia" immortalized in a video game somewhere. ;)
  5. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

You know, actually I have to change my mind. That's a terrible idea. Have you seen the names people use in video games? This would be a nightmare. You'll have a hundred thousand planets all named with Drizzt or some crazy nonsense like that.
  6. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

No please, I really hope they never do this. Unless they use real complete names like the B&W devs did for the villagers no, just no.
  7. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

brb

changing my name to "xXMLGb0ngR1PZ420Xx", then donating.
  8. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

Yes that's right, he's asking for 100,000 planets all named after my buttcheeks!!! Gods no. Say it won't be so...
  9. snidoom

snidoom New Member

I actually don't think the names would be that bad... At least not in the SupCom community. Also trolling this would still need the trolls to pledge which would essentially result in a better game due to more funding.

Uber could also impose some restrictins on the names (eg. only use Alphanumeric characters, or max 8 characters, etc) or make the naming scheme toggelable / customizable.

And besides having 100'000 names in the game would be totally awesome (even if they all just pledged the minimum amount). I would gladly sacrifice the planet names if it meant to quadruple the funding ;)
  10. KNight

Okay, I think there is some confusion as to where the names would come from. So at the end of the KS there is usually a survey that goes out to get info like address and such, Uber just adds on a question regarding entering A planet name, doesn't have to be the player's name and Uber just has to point out they have the right to change or censor a name and voila! Thousands of potential planet names are available.

They could even go so far as to just not use any name that's remotely questionable, they'll still have many to choose from and if it's put forward specifically as naming a planet I don't think it'd be all that bad.

EDIT: Heck, they could even have Alpha/Beta players help sort through the names too, I'm sure there are plenty of people that'd love to volunteer their time.

Mike
  11. cola_colin

They could restrict the names a bit and reserve the right to reject names that are simple inappropriate. Also the price needs to be high enough to limit the amount of people who do this, so it isnt too much work to check all the names.

Mikes idea of just asking alpha/beta players to report inappropriate names is also not bad.
  12. snidoom

snidoom New Member

Just add to every tier the option to name a planet and leave it to Uber to take the appropriate ones. That's probably the best solution to have "good names" while keeping the additional incentive to pledge.

Actually reading through a list of names doesn't take that long. It's just boring :p

I still think it should be affordable, because the biggest amount of money lies in the small pledges (and I also want to name a planet ;) ).
  13. cola_colin

I actually think that 15$ was too low for the smallest pledge. I am pretty sure they would have had nearly as much supporters with 20 and 25 as lower boundary. PA's average pledge per backer is with around 39$ not very high.
  14. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Yeah, I'm with you.

I don't want to see this in game.

If anything, people could submit an entry to a list, and the developers could selectively approve/disapprove of the entry -- but that sounds like more work than it'd be worth.
  15. KNight

That's exactly what I suggested.

Mike
  16. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Oops, sorry -- I missed it when I skimmed the thread :(

Maybe instead of a single-suggestion per player, it can just be an exclusive backers-only list, where people can submit as many names as they'd like, but on the backend, the devs can vet names they like (and consequently, submitters).
  17. KNight

That is also what I suggested. It'd be part of the routine Survey Uber would send out on Kickstarter that is usually used to get shipping addresses but you can configure them any way you want.

Mike
  18. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Is the survey a kickstarter thing, or?

But yeah, sounds good.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I like this idea. As others have said, add some common sense filtering by the devs, and it'll be all good.
  20. KNight

Yes, as I said it's sent via Kickstarter and used to collect relevant info(depends on the project and pledge rewards) but the most common is shipping address, but you can add any kind of question you want.

Mike