My Thoughts About MNC And Changes That Should Be Made.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by iiiHuman, February 16, 2011.

1. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the feedback section.

Well, now that I have played MNC for quite a bit (more than enough to make some educated decisions), I thought I would express some of my thoughts about changes I would personally like to see. Just some my personal opinions. Yes, suggestions. But, still personal opinions.

In NO Particular Order, ...

1. General Interface Issue #1 (Backing Out Of Joining A Game):
      :arrow: It seems when you go to join a game and then find there is no one listed in it (even though it might have said 12 people were playing), there is no way to cancel. You have to first complete "joining" a game (selecting a player, and clicking on join) rather than being able to "cancel" at that point if you wish. Would be nice to have a "cancel" option at that step.
    2. General Gameplay Issue #1 (Upgrading Skills):
      :arrow: While I actually think upgrading your character's skills during solo and online "Blitz" games makes sense, I think it would make more sense during online "Crossfire" games to have everyone start out at Level 3 in all of their skill areas. There are too many reasons to list here as to why I believe this should be. Maybe a bit later in another post.
    3. Gameplay Balance Issue #1 (Assassin Shurikens):
      :arrow: I think assassin shurikens should be more powerful against other players, but less powerful against towers. After all, they are assassins. And, the shurikens bounce off walls and such. So, I feel that they should be more powerful against players. To make up for it, they can be less powerful against towers with more of a chance that some of the shurikens will bounce off of the tower being attacked by them. As for heavily armored characters such as the Tank and Heavy Gunner, perhaps a chance for a few shurikens to more likely bounce off of them every so often too. But, I wouldn't reduce the damage against them unless they are possibly in deploy mode. As for bots, I would leave it just the same. So, overall, an increase against players and a decrease against towers. And, maybe a slight increase in damage against unshielded money balls.
    4. Removed
    5. Gameplay Balance Issue #3 (Not Invisible Enough When Standing Still):
      :arrow: It seems like a cloaked assassin should be more invisible when standing perfectly still. Besides, the cloak's hum is still pretty loud.
    6. General Gameplay Issue #2 (Cloaked Vs. Cloaked):
      :arrow: I think it would be nicer if cloaked assassins could have an easier time seeing other cloaked assassins. This is sort of also a gameplay balance issue since you hear your own loud hum when cloaked which makes it harder to listen for other cloaked assassins. And, I really think this would add a nice dynamic to cloaking since assassins may want to cloak more often (draining their cloak more) so they can try to spot other cloaked assassins easier. But, of course, draining your cloak more means you can't use it as much. So, it balances out more for other players in the game that can't cloak etc.
    7. Gameplay Balance Issue #4 (Snipers Vs. Cloaked Assassins):
      :arrow: The chance of critical sniper shots should be greatly reduced against cloaked assassins. Especially, against cloaked assassins that happen to be moving.
    8. General Gameplay Issue #3 (Jackbot Slam Timing):
      :arrow: Seems that the effects of getting stunned and knocked back from a Jackbot slam are not always applied correctly. You can sometimes jump to avoid the slam but still get affected when you are in the air just because you didn't time it quite perfectly enough. It seems the jump window should be slightly larger both before and after the slam itself. There have been a few times when I've felt I clearly jumped either soon or late enough and found I still got stunned and slammed back.

That's it for now. Probably more at a later time. :)

EDIT (Knew I Forgot At Least One): Any thoughts on having BOTH the Mascot AND the Juice Bot taking the field at the same time? You know, if you maybe can't make it to one, you can try for the other? Or, do you want to try for both? Or, a number of other things that come to mind from that?

~ iiiHuman ~

:D
    Last edited: February 16, 2011
  2. Runie

Runie New Member

Please play more of the game before you suggest nerfs. The supports airstrike is really weak against the moneyball compared to the assaults bomb or even the supports shotgun.

Right now everything is working as intended.
  3. Runie

Runie New Member

Also make sure you filter out empty and full servers.
  4. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

I have played more of the game. I didn't just think of this stuff day one or after an hour of play. I put some time into this. Don't assume I haven't thought about it or haven't played enough to have thought this through. Again, these are my opinions.

Oh, and I disagree with the comment that things are working as intended. If so, then let's not change anything. In fact, then let's go back to the way juice was before the last update etc etc.
    Last edited: February 16, 2011
  5. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

No, really? I hadn't thought of that .. oh, wait .. yes I have.

I have seen this problem before. Servers showing an incorrect number of players even after refreshing the server list. Even happens with the TF2 servers. Thing is, because of this, I have to not choose to filter out those servers because I would lose out on the ones that have some players with spots still open because it would incorrectly filter them out based on the incorrect information in the available server list (again, even after refreshing the list multiple times).
  6. Mail

Mail New Member

I can attest to the support's air strike doing pitiful damage to the moneyball. It's his shotgun that does the real damage at point blank, and when juiced a rate of fire shotgun can take the moneyball down from 100% to less than 25%. Of course that's only if he's left alone, smart players will try to grapple him, knock him away, or just plain keep him from getting that far.
  7. grimbar

grimbar New Member

The Airstrike (according to balance.ini which is as I know not a complete exhaustive source) does about 125 damage to the core (5% from the original 2500 damage)

The Core has 10,000 health.
  8. MLGIntervention

MLGIntervention Active Member

Juiced support's shot gun is ridiculous on the money ball.
  9. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Was just defying his statement about airstrikes, the Shotgun singlehandedly wastes the core.
  10. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

It may have been a huge coincidence from what I had been experiencing. But, that's all cool. That's what a good discussion like this is about. What I have problems with is when someone starts making accusations like I haven't played enough. I do admit that some of the other weapons do some massive damage. Just seemed from experience that there was often no one around doing damage except for a support having just thrown an air support "bomb" marker on the money ball. Which, would still sort of make sense since I just probably never noticed that the support also had his shotgun out shooting it too which was what was causing the real damage. LOL. But, I still stand by the other stuff at the moment. Thanks to the guys that offered actual feedback and statistics and keeping it all in perspective etc.

I went back up to the original post and removed that one (should probably be to nerf the support's shotgun against the money ball instead). But, while I was at it, I sort of added another. Mainly, because I'm not even quite sure how I feel about it myself. I do kind of like the idea though.

Here's what the new addition in the original post was/is:

• Any thoughts on having BOTH the Mascot AND the Juice Bot taking the field at the same time? You know, if you maybe can't make it to one, you can try for the other? Or, do you want to try for both? Or, a number of other things that come to mind from that?
  11. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

#2 is laughable, the rest are all Assassin buffs.
  12. Runie

Runie New Member

The only servers that show incorrect information are the ones that are sending false information to entice players to join. I haven't come across any servers like that yet but once they start popping up I'd like a blacklist function.

Edit: I still think you need to play more because as far as the gameplay stuff goes you don't seem to comprehend how that mess with things. Also this post belongs in the feedback area.

Edit edit: Also I don't think you understand that the 12 means 12 slots are open. Not 12 people are playing.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

You beat me to exactly what I was going to type. I laughed pretty hard at No.2.
  14. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

Other than just stating your personal opinion that this is somehow laughable, are you capable of giving a legitimate reason as to why you feel that it does not make sense? This would just remove the need to upgrade each personal skill level during a Crossfire match.
  15. sensitivepsycho

I could ask you the same thing. Why shouldn't you have to upgrade them?

The concept of earning money to upgrade your skills is a central feature of the game. Should you upgrade your skills, throw up a turret or two, or save for the Annihilator? If you upgrade your skills, what ones should you upgrade and in what order? It also gives the player a sense of achievement - I'm doing really well, so now I can switch my kunai for a katana/my Minigun can sprout an extra barrel/my Bomb can kill more d00ds. Finally, it paces the game. Everyone starts off hungry for upgrades, and as time gets on Pros get more and more powerful.

The only possible downside to this system is the catch-up needed if you join a game mid-way through. Which isn't all that difficult - and I main Tank, arguably the class that has to spend the most on Skill upgrades.
  16. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

Finally, the segway to what I originally posted as probably talking about in a later post.

For now, at least, I will try to focus on my biggest issue with skill-leveling in Crossfire games--Balance, with a secondary emphasis on fun.

While I agree with what you stated for solo games and online Blitz games, I believe that it actually creates not only a lack of pacing in Crossfire games but also imbalance issues that often lead to Crossfire games being overly one-sided. It often tends to cause a lack of teamwork because:

1. A player will sometimes not upgrade towers or use ejectors or use the annihilator, etc, when needed because that person is instead too busy focusing only on upgrading his/her own skills first when that is not always the correct tactic.
    2. Because someone may be focusing only on upgrading his/her own skills first, that player's focus on getting all the cash may be causing someone else to lose out on getting enough cash to do those tower upgrades or ejector/annihilator uses or bot spawns or whatever.
    3. It is inevitable that one team will get all of their skills upgraded first while the other team has run into one or both of the above issues. Therefore, that team should be forming a nice stride even if it was based off of coincidence rather than teamwork. That stride will often lead to walking over the other team really easily even if the other team does manage to get everyone's skill levels caught up.

The last one may sound like it makes sense to some players, but it actually removes some of the fun from the game because the game becomes more of a skill-leveling game rather than just focusing on the combat. Some people may enjoy that aspect more than the combat portion of the game but I really believe it is an unnecessary distraction that takes away from the fun during Crossfire games.

I feel I have to reiterate that this is just an opinion. I have stated several reasons for why I believe this makes sense.
  17. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

Point of thread:
    "Assassin is UP. BUFF IT!!!"
  18. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

That didn't even make sense.

Point of your post:
    Nothing

Point of Shurryy:
    Troll
  19. sensitivepsycho

All of your points are based on the actions of extremely inexperienced/selfish players. You can't balance the game based on these player's playing styles.

I also don't understand how skill-buying creates a lack of pacing. As the game wears on, you buy more skills, culminating in Overtime when you have Gold Endorsements as well as - presumably - all of your skills.

The more people play the game, the more they will understand the importance of the Annihilator and Turrets.

The PC version has Bot Streaks and twice as many Bots spawned. If you can't get enough money to upgrade your important Skills and throw up a Turret or two, you're not doing it right. The only exception to this is Supports, but a hacked Firebase can net a surprising amount of cash.

Falling behind in the tech race doesn't result in you getting facerolled. It shouldn't happen in the first place. To win at Monday Night Combat, you need to aggressively push both enemy Bots and enemy Pros back to their Spawns. If you're arseing about in your base, or not pushing hard enough, you're going to get annihilated, Skills or no Skills. I can't tell you the number of times I've wrecked teams with two Supports sitting next to their Moneyball with 3.3 Firebases next to them.

Mate, you need to play a little more before you start posting threads like this. When you get a little more experience under your belt, you'll laugh at your suggestion too.
  20. iiiHuman

iiiHuman New Member

See, you're making an awful assumption I don't have enough games under my belt to make that decision. I wouldn't have suggested it if I haven't experienced it first hand. I have experienced people being selfish including experienced players I have seen. Just because you don't like my personal observation, don't try to claim something that isn't just because you personally don't like it. You asked a question and I answered it. I backed up my beliefs (whether or not you understood them). You didn't like the answer so it looks like you came up with some other way to try and validate your dislike for the answer. Dude, it's okay if people have different opinions than you. Just don't try and come up with excuses of why they have to be like yours. LOL.