My solution to the brightness problem on AMD cards

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, January 31, 2015.

1. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Hello all, i found the problem on my machine and the brightness problem is now fixed on my rig with no mods.
    the problem is not the cards, it is the settings in windows for display that was causing the issue. below is the instructions to how i fixed it on my computer and a side note, im using a sapphire R9 290X. hopefully it fixes the problem on your machine as well.

1. Go to Catalyst Control Center and navigate to the "Desktop Management" tab and open it.
    Screen1.jpg

2. Navigate to the "Desktop Color" tab and open it.
    screen2.jpg

3. Once there, click the "Reactivate AMD Color Controls" this will give your AMD card the control over your color and brightness settings. I lowered my contrast (step 4) to where it looked best for me, but this is optional as just giving the setting controls back to my card AMD card solved my issue, but 85 for me looks awesome. of course click "Apply" and try it out.
    screen3.jpg

I hope this helps those being bothered by this.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

There is also a mod on PAMM called AMD brightness fix that fixes this issue. May be easier for some people to get going. Thats what I am using on my desktop install at the moment.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That just seems to generally alter the contract of the display that is configured. It may "work", but I dont think it really fixes the root cause and just makes it look "more okay", not as it was intended to look like.
    Also it has the severe drawback that it applies not only to PA. So while PA looks better everything else looks worse.
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

ya, in order to get days to not burn out my eyes leaves nights way to dark. There might be some combination of settings that can work but I'm too lazy to find them.