Music pitch altered?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blackeagle11, March 1, 2014.

1. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

Just a curious thing, but I noticed the music for the game was altered to be in higher pitches despite the original recordings being lower. Personally, I prefer them lower in their original form as it sounds more realistic and less "cartooney" that raising the entire pitch of the soundtrack gives it - do you think there can be an option to put the music back to it's normal pitch? Or is it something that will be done eventually anyway?

(Could just be annoying me since I'm a musician.)

Found out while using fmod to take a look at the soundtrack. I won't be posting any of it online or sharing it, it's just for my own purposes :D
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well the music is now the orchestral version, I haven't noticed any other changes though...
  3. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

I meant the orchestral version is raised in pitch in the actual game. If you use fmod to view the soundtrack, it comes out in a lower and far more realistic sounding way since it's how the original recordings sounded.
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Huh. Haven't tried that.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Sounds like another bug. As far as I can tell the music I hear in game matches the pitch I hear from the source files or FMOD.
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I wonder what is your windows sample rate set to? It could be that the game is speeding up sounds to match for some reason instead of resampling.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Possible, but unlikely. The only standard sampling rates that would produce slightly elevated pitch would be playing 44.1kHz at 48kHz. That's a ~9% pitch adjustment, but it's also a ~9% increase in tempo. I expect that would stand out more.
  8. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

I tried lowering my sample rate from 48kHz to 44.1 kHz, but it didn't make any difference. And now that you mention it, the sound does appear about 9% or so raised and a bit faster too, never noticed the tempo change until you said that.

EDIT: Also, I tried the game on a mac and the music is also raised/sped up on it by the same amount. So it's not just my PC it seems :|
  9. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

Ok, so I uploaded some private tracks on soundcloud of one of the music tracks from fmod and one directly recorded from in-game. Both are at 44.1 khz, and recorded using audacity so it's not a fantastic quality but it at least shows the difference.

Admin edit: removing links to audio. They served their purpose.
    Last edited by a moderator: March 3, 2014
    cwarner7264 and BulletMagnet like this.
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Trust me, 9% is a lot for a change in tempo.

However, just looking at the audio envelope on both of those SoundCloud links makes me think there something going on. It's most likely just filtering. @uberhoward would know the definitive answer, though.

Is it possible to download things from SoundCloud?
  11. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

Sorry, I lazily uploaded them and by default downloads are off. They should be on now :p
  12. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

Still no luck with music fix after latest update - but it's nice to see bug fixes one way or another :D
    Can't wait to see multi-planet spawns and such added in
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The in game version of the audio is correct as far as I can tell. The version you are hearing when playing back the audio outside the game has been pitched down. I can run this by Howard, but I'm pretty sure that is correct in game for you.

I do have to say the slowed down version is kind of cool in its own way.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

What software are you using to play the music exactly? Could be the problem instead.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Confirmed with Howard, in game is correct. The pitch being lowered has been a common problem with fmod file extractors in the past, so this being the first time I've seen it mentioned probably means the various extraction utilities have gotten better. Every SupCom 2 soundtrack uploaded on YouTube is apparently pitched down in a similarly wrong way.
    cwarner7264 likes this.