Multi-Threading

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Corang, October 23, 2013.

?

Would having PA support multiple cores be beneficial to you?

1. Yes

96.9%
  2. No

2.1%
  3. I do not know

1.0%
  1. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Can PA use multiple cores at 100%, and if it can, why does PA.exe only utilize 25-30% of my processor in-game? it utilizes every core but not fully as the overall is in between 25-30% i believe that if PA could utilize multiple cores everyone's performance would be much better, now i don't know much about engine programming but if it does not require a massive rewrite, then why not add it?
  2. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

The simulation is mainly performed on the server. Most of the data is just being transmitted to the client when its needed, there is not much simulation being performed afaik.
  3. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

But can PA use multiple cores to the full extent? That was my main question.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Give this man a beer.
  5. BulletMagnet

Yes, and it already is.

It's not using your cores to 100% because it doesn't need to.

It's using the server's cores at 100%, but you can't see that because you're not the server.
  6. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

In that case would it be possible to offload some of the graphical work to the cpu? It may help FPS a little bit.
  7. BulletMagnet

If that's possible, then I expect it's either 1) already done, or 2) in the pipeline of things to be done.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Because client don't do any simulation.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Also UI already using different cores, you might notice 6-8 processes of CoherentUI_Host.exe :)

No. General purpose CPUs do not used for real time rendering because they are not effective for that task.
  10. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I realize that cpus are not effective towards graphics rendering, but if you could offload just a little work it might give 3-5 fps more
  11. gunshin

Dude, just stop. There are many technical reasons as to why you do not want to be splitting graphics between the gpu and cpu, the least of which being that you actually send vertex data from the cpu to the gpu for renderring because its faster.

As an after thought, i dont even think its possible to do this anyway.
    Terrasque likes this.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

13. gunshin

yes, you can run it on only cpu. but i do not think it is possible to use both cpu and gpu at same time for renderring. I dont count passing vertex data as renderring btw.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Technically it's possible, but it's won't give any advantage in performance and this is why nobody use it ;)
    It's like run OS in browser.
  15. gunshin

This is what i stated originally...

"the least of which being that you actually send vertex data from the cpu to the gpu for renderring because its faster."
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't mean that, but you can render one frame on CPU and other frame on GPU. :D
    It's one of methods used in SLI/CrossFire.
  17. BulletMagnet

Get a faster computer.
  18. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I got a i5 760 and a HD7970. Total cpu usage is between 25-35% (maxing 1 core and only slightly using the other cores). My gpu hovers at like 20-30%. Getting 11 fps. So ye for some reason PA is not using everything and i really hope they manage to use atleast quadcores to their full extend and not just 35%. Every serious gamer has atleast a quadcore and the i7 cpu's have hyperthreading meaning there are 8 threads waiting to be used.

Cant speak of the current patch though since it gives it a black screen.
  19. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

I'm so bored of hearing this. What happens when the guy wants a LAN?
  20. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Don't go sli the bang for buck is not good, reason being is it won't have any of the more modern instructions on it(direct compute). Also it could easily mess around with your overclock, or prevent a more aggressive voltage.

Hi chap
    You know PA is just as multicore efficient as most other modern games in my opinion. The thing to realise in RTS is that you get lag eventually no matter what on vast maps with unlimited popcap. But its worse to get lag from system resource as that now puts you behind other people and the ai.