Mouse + Controller Combo

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Ninja Wallace, January 25, 2011.

1. Ninja Wallace

Ninja Wallace New Member

Please. For all the benefits of mouse-aiming, basic keyboards are awful for gaming. Really all I'm asking for is complete layout customization, which disappears entirely as soon as you plug in a controller. Hopefully I'm not the only one looking for something like this.
    Last edited: January 29, 2011
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

HostileInput.ini - it's in there, just has to be made yourself.
  3. PKC

PKC New Member

Lol, awful for you maybe.

I dunno, kids today!
  4. heavensnight

heavensnight Member

keyboards are awful , and the reason i dont play many fps pc games anymore"keyboards cramp up my hand..******* carpal tunnel" , ninja download xpadder "google it" and it will map the part of the controller to the keyboard and the other half will be left up to the mouse.

i use to do this back in ut3's day and tbh it wasnt as good as i hoped since after a while of playing the controller hand would get uncomfortable from the extra strain from not holding it with two hands.. or you can buy "if they still make em" a 1/2 gamepad which is like the joystick part of a wiimote
  5. Mail

Mail New Member

I've never had a problem with the keyboard myself, but this would be a good option to have in general, for people who use odd control schemes of various types.
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

See not all of us have been playing with "KBM" and it's hard or takes too long to adjust.

Like for me example WSAD is hard for me to freaking use. I am always getting stuck on walls, corners, turret nubs. Now I try to use my "Q" skill but I always end up pressing the "Tab" button. Forget about reloading that "R" button is a bit too far away.

I would like to see you use a controller on the console.

Also, your attitude is exactly why I hate, most, PC gamers.
  7. grimbar

grimbar New Member

We can still be friends aye?
  8. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

I'm a long-time console shooter guy but I find myself more and more comfortable with keyboard and mouse every day I play. Just takes time, friend (and you might invest in a decent mouse with some customizable buttons after you upgrade your graphics card :p). The only thing that bothers me is my push-to-talk is caps lock and it's not always comfortable for me to cover tab, caps lock, left shift, and left control all with my pinky finger. Thankfully, I have a mouse with 12 extra macro buttons so I just give myself double the options for the less intuitive keystrokes. I'm already used to R for reload and F for use from RPGs I've played on PC. Anyway, that's just me. Give mouse and keyboard time to grow on you and you'll love it.
  9. DeadStretch

A mouse with 12 buttons? holy moly. My mouse has I think 4 extra buttons. I have the forward/back buttons for web browsers and then my mouse wheel has like two buttons. Push it left and push it right. How do I set those for buttons in-game?

[​IMG]

Hey, will those settings you did for me still work?
  10. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

You should be able to set them in the controls scheme in options. Just assign them like you would a key on your keyboard.

Yar, 12 unassigned keys that you can set to whatever. I have a profile for each game that I play with a different layout for those keys. I usually don't bother with my forward and back buttons for anything in games. My thumb has a hard time finding them unless I keep it resting on one of them.
  11. DeadStretch

Oh wow, it's that easy huh? Awesome. Thanks
  12. alanebro82

alanebro82 New Member

I have a mouse with the forward/back buttons (on left and right of the mouse) and obviously the middle mouse wheel.

I set the blue skill to the left mouse button, yellow to the mouse wheel click, and red to the right mouse button. Left click and right click are obviously just fire/alt-fire.

I then set melee to 'e', which I find much easier on my hand than 'c'. Use is still 'f' and taunt is 'h'.

Finally, I used zarakon's suggestion in this post to easily and quickly choose skills. I find this to be amazing for quickly upgrading skills and not dying while doing so.
  13. Ninja Wallace

Ninja Wallace New Member

Even if I were to concede to using a mouse/keyboard, which I won't, I still won't have as much movement control using WSAD as I would with a thumbstick. This is fact.
  14. PKC

PKC New Member

any gamer worth his salt should take all of 5 minutes to adjust.

so reset your keys to something that is more comfortable to you. that's probably the biggest advantage of the keyboard.

i was using controllers before you were born. but no, i wouldn't use an inferior product for a shooter.

and your attitude is why i laugh at console kiddies.
  15. DeadStretch

You're cool.
    :roll:
  16. BulletMagnet

This. Times twenty-six.

I use a custom set of keys, it took me a day to adjust from my previous set (which I've been using for the past four years).

What I did was look at my keyboard, and then think about what keys I'd likely be pressing at the same time, and what keys I'd never press at the same time.

In the case of MNC, I'd never be running forward or backwards while upgrading skills or building turrets - so I should have those four within reach of the same finger.

Advancing and strafing are things I always do together, so they're definitely different fingers. But I'd never strafe left and right at the same time - both my strafe keys can be done with the one finger too!

Skills; firing those off while moving is a must-have, so they're on a third finger. Voice; I could be doing that at any point in time and I'll be holding it down, so I won't be able to use that finger while speaking. And just to mix it up a little, I use my thumb to jump.

In the end, this is what I have;

Code:
    Forward     - V
    Backward    - C
    Left        - W
    Right       - S
    Jump        - Space
    Blue        - D
    Yellow      - E
    Red         - R
    Buy         - B
    Use         - G
    Voice       - Shift
    Everything else is on my mouse - except for chat, but you have to move your hands for that anyway so it's entirely a moot point.

TL; DR. Keyboards give you a bucket load more flexibility. It becomes an extension of yourself, mould the keyboard to you, not you to the keyboard.
  17. DeadStretch

For us noobs using our thumb and an analog stick is easier and more comfortable then using 3/4 fingers just to move around.

Sure the keyboard has more flexibility but what we are having a hard time with is using more then one finger for movement.
  18. BulletMagnet

But it's really not hard to learn at all. Just suffer through a day of it and you'll find that you get the hang of it really well.
  19. PKC

PKC New Member

im surprised how many people don't think about this when mapping keys.

edit: and that's one of he ugliest schemes i've ever seen! how can your hand even reach all the keys properly? do you have some malformed claw? :D
    Last edited: January 26, 2011
  20. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

thhhhannnkk yyooouuuu.

thats good stuff. i didnt check that yet, and ive checked damn near everything else that makes the game tick

but isnt he?
    :roll:

time for someone to quote me and sarcastically agree. cmon, lets keep the scarcasm going!
    Last edited: January 26, 2011