Mountains & hills

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ubertrem, June 24, 2013.

1. ubertrem

ubertrem New Member

Hello,

I will try to keep this short. With all obvious observations aside, is there still plan to make real "hills" and "mountains" units can walk on etc.?

Or does planet proportions etc. make this really hard at this point? (I guess planets risk loosing their spherical shape quite noticeably)

I think I remember seeing a small hill in one of the path finding videos but not sure if I am just making this up.

Thanks
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I believe this is in the works as of the moment. Units should be able to climb up ramps on the sides of mesas and mountains by Beta, at least, that's how I understand it.
  3. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

You said: "that´s how i understand it" but actually this point has been asked so many times (also by me) all over the forums, but until now there is not a single response from uber to that.

It would be great if we could get some information here.

Thank you! :)
  4. exterm

exterm New Member

I asked this in the reddit AMA with neutrino and he promised real hills (not just plateaus with ramps). I can't see this in the game right now though.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Support for this is already present, the planet generator just doesn't use it yet.
  6. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Ok guys. This is an awesome info for me.
    Looking forward for more alpha development and feature implementation :)

Made my day ;)
  7. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

That's actually news to me. Good news, too.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You can tell this is the case from the early bugs that let you build on the side of mountains and got units stuck in crevasses. They do this because the navigation mesh works over arbitrary 3D shapes. So a hill is no different to a mesa or crevasse, only the engine works out (now) that the later are too steep for units.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually I was just messing around with the free camera in V50000 and you can see some gradual hills across the planet.

Mike
  10. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah you see that even in the livestreams. thought he mountains and hills are not very high by now. Probably, if you have a planet of some 100 meter radius a mountain of more than 50 meter looks HUGE
  11. ubertrem

ubertrem New Member

Thanks for all the replies, this is good news :)