More orbital units?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Auraenn, September 7, 2014.

1. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

I've felt like there's been a slight lack of orbital units. Lately I've been just thinking on what could be added to expand that category of units. Here are some of my ideas:
    - Orbital aircraft carrier; imagine something that can transport and produce large amount of air units to different planets and in orbit, kind of like the mega fortress from SC2 but in space.
    - Advanced orbital bombardment and anti orbital units; imagine destroyers and maybe cruisers and stuff.

I don't really have too many ideas on the matter but I think it'd be cool to add more orbital units. It just feels like there's something missing from the category.
    What do you guys think?
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Uber wants the focus of battles to be mainly on the surface of the planet, so we dont end up with another sins or anything like that, however i would like a T2 type avenger
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

4. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

I realize that there's a certain style here in the game but I just feel like something is missing.
    There seems to be a lack of tiers with the orbital units and there are so little units to begin with.
    Yeah that'd be nice. I just wish there was a larger emphasis on orbital superiority at times. Fights over gas giants are pretty boring when it's nothing but avengers going at it. It'd be cool to see other things as well.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I understand Uber wants gameplay to focus on ground battles, but at the very least we should have a second orbital fighter so orbital gameplay isn't just a matter of whoever has more avengers.

I'd also love a lower cost orbital to ground laser satellite. But if we get that, we'd need a bot/vehicle that can fire against orbital. Allowing the Bluehawk and Stingray to shoot at orbital would be an insta fix for that. We need a ground to orbital unit anyways.

Increasing the speed of the Avenger also is pretty awesome.
    Auraenn likes this.
  6. igncom1

Tiers? ehh I suppose, but I feel it's more a lack of a orbital counter to anchors, and a lack of orbit to ground interaction.

Like imagine a boom satellite designed to use it's kinetic energy to suicide and kill enemy satellites?

Or a kind of siege satellite designed to fire long range rockets to kill anchors?

Or a drop pod satellite designed to make T1 bots and fire them at the surface?
    Auraenn likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Mod.

I should make a mod that adds terrestial factories in the orbital layer, with terrible efficiency.

Note: The unit would float to the correct layer after being built.
  8. igncom1

also, more static orbital units too, I love em!

What about a gas giant monitor that harvests the gas to employ defensive laser beams to defend large stretches of a gas giant from enemy forces, but is vulnerable to being overwhelmed.

Or a more Russian sputnick craft armed with a short ranged cutter, but is able to take enormous amounts of punishment!
    Auraenn likes this.
  9. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

I didn't mind how orbital was before gasgiants came into play. But now we got planets where orbital is the only thing you can use. Playing on gasgiants I notice the lack of interesting orbital play, as anchors aren't very good anymore in orbital, it's just an avenger spamfest.
    corteks likes this.
  10. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

I was thinking about lots of stuff like this. It'd be sweet if there were more units like this. I recall when I first played "There should be a unit that can counter anchors without having to use 20 Avengers"
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I think orbital is fine.
    philoscience likes this.
  12. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Uber doesn't want to take away priority from ground, so why not combine it?

I'd absolutely love to see something like a mid/big-sized starship, which can land on planets and either swim in water or walk on land. Both would allow some great stuff for invasions.

Kinda like the cybran T2 destroyer. But IN SPACE.

You could even do some nice hit and run. Go into space, do stuff, and go back. Would finally get us a 'ground unit' which can attack orbital.
    Antiglow, wilhelmvx and Auraenn like this.
  13. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Ok shameless plug here. I'm working on a mod at the moment with emraldis (and anyone else who is willing to contribute) which is meant to overhaul the orbital layer. Unfortunately we are still a while away from a release, but we are getting there. If you want to see some of my previous models, take a look at a mod in the wip section called Badass orbital warfare, work has halted on that mod due to me moving to Orbital Warfare Overhaul, but some of my older models can still be viewed there.

Orbital Warfare Overhaul:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-server-orbital-warfare-overhaul.62878/
    Work is slow at the moment due to work piling up, but progress should speed up again within a week or so.
  14. Auraenn

Auraenn Active Member

This would be ******* sweet. I'd pay to see that. It'd definitely make invasions a ton more fun.
    Antiglow likes this.
  15. igncom1

16. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

One of the figures is that a total of 100 Units are planned.
    And there is no T3 or experimentals planned (as those only serve at making Tier 1+2 useless, wich was one issue of supreme commander).

So there are going to be some more orbital units.
    Anchors already excell at attacking airspace (and are good vs ground too). They are actually better at securing ground/airspace then orbital space (for that fighters are better) because orbital combat ranges are miniscule right now.
  17. igncom1

Well 100 units also included buildings as well, btw.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

a t2 avanger? why was the peregrin removed again for air?
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

It led to the same problems that plagued TA and SupCom - i.e. the top-tier fighter becomes the most important unit in the game, and whoever has most, wins. By getting rid of it there is now nothing in the air that can laugh at AA and clear out planes anywhere with impunity.
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

More units full stop? I personally feel let down by the amount of choice right now.