modded units don't animate

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by shinytoaster, October 13, 2014.

1. shinytoaster

shinytoaster New Member

Looking at making a server mod, editing some existing units, while it works, any modded units don't animate anymore, e.g. a turret fires but it doesn't turn to point at the target.

I made it by copy unit json file to my mod and the changes do take effect other then the above issue. I have looked at other re-balance mods but that only modify the weapon json files which seems to work fine. Even if no changes are made just having a copy of the unit json makes the unit stops animating.

Could someone give me some pointers on how to avoid this?
    Also in SC FA there was a loadUnitBluePrints or similar you could hook and modify units based on category just the attributes you want to change instead of copying whole unit blueprints, also I seem to recall there was also way to merge blueprints in SC FA, is there anything like that we could use in PA?
    Last edited: October 13, 2014
  2. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Can you post your code (so we can tell what's wrong)?

PA doesn't have such things yet.
  3. shinytoaster

shinytoaster New Member

Does it even when I make no changes, so just a copy of the unit blueprint json into my server mod folder and I have verify it's the right location by changing the range etc.

I think maybe I need these:
    com.uberent.pa.mods.stockmods.server.cheat.allow_change_control
    com.uberent.pa.mods.stockmods.server.cheat.allow_change_vision
    com.uberent.pa.mods.stockmods.server.cheat.allow_create_unit
    com.uberent.pa.mods.stockmods.server.cheat.allow_mod_data_updates
  4. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

These will testing easier but wont fix the bug. If all you do is change range of fire there is no reason for turret to stop rotating.

So, lets say you copy laser_defense_tool_weapon.json to server_mods/yourmod/pa/units/land/laser_defense and change max_range from 110 to 200, the only other file you have in your mod is modinfo.json. Does the turret work fine after that for you?
  5. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Animations like aiming are all done in the anim_trees folder. My best guess is that you removed a link to that.
  6. shinytoaster

shinytoaster New Member

Yes, it works if I only copy the weapon or ammo json file, it only stops if I copy the unit even if I don't make any changes.
  7. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

If you don't make changes, everythnig should work fine... Maybe you running other mods at the same time?
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Push all of your changes to a github repo. I'll fix it in a few hours if no one else has.
  9. shinytoaster

shinytoaster New Member

Sorry about the mess below, not allowed to post a link apparently:
    https github.com shinytoaster flyingtoasters git
  10. shinytoaster

shinytoaster New Member

Think I might have been copying from the wrong location, was using:
    Planetary Annihilation\PA\media

Maybe I should have been using this one instead:
    Planetary Annihilation\Planetary Annihilation\stable\media
  11. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

It looks like you installed PA multiple times or something? Maybe you should delete or backup the whole folder and install PA again.

edit
    the file on github is indeed the old one and uses animtree that have been renamed in newer builds
    Last edited: October 14, 2014