[Mod]Supcom Style Strategic Icons!

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by nerdnosyd, June 9, 2013.

1. nerdnosyd

nerdnosyd New Member

Update as of 6/11/13
    I've resized everything to make it all generally look better. Navy icon is still massive but I'll keep working on it. I've also combined all the originals down into 4 PSDs (structures, units, land vehicles, air) which makes changing everything at once a breeze.

-----------------------------
    Howdy folks; I decided to see if I could modify the strategic icons to be more like Supcom's... 5 hours later, I'm ready to show the fruits of my labor! I hope this doesn't upset anyone or break any rules I may have missed. Let me know what you think. Screenshots!

I do have some bad news if you like to play as black...

Some quirks:
    • Air fabbers appear as fighters.
    • Not quite happy with the arti icon
    • T2 Assault fabber appears as a T1 assault bot
    • Assault and ship icons are a little big

To use them, simply extract the 7z file and place them in your
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\ui\alpha\live_game\img\strategic_icons
    folder. (I'd make a backup first.) Accept all overwrite warnings.

Disclaimer: I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination; these were made in Photoshop Elements using a combination of its built in clip art, Arial and Wingdings font and some good ole pixel editing. Here are the PSDs for those of you who want to try and have it yourself!

Attached Files:

Last edited: June 11, 2013
  2. HD188753

HD188753 New Member

3. Nelec

Nelec Member

Awesome, I prefer the SupCom icone tbh, PA ones just seen so huge and intruding.
  4. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

5. nerdnosyd

nerdnosyd New Member

Yes, yes he did; I can't believe I didn't see that.
  6. Nelec

Nelec Member

Same here, how the hell did I miss that.
  7. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

While this is true atm, I can see them being sized down in the future.
  8. LegionDarrath

LegionDarrath Member

Probably because there's 3 subforums where everyone posts everything :lol:
  9. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

this one are cool to!You have put in this a lot more work than me. But I wanted to make as few changes as possible, becouse this is for SupCom players, who are accustomed to them.

For now problem with icons are how they are colored. This are just simple white-black graphics that are multiply by base player color. You cant add white stripes for level like in SupCom.

We need Modding subforum! or topic with links to all mods ;)
  10. invaders00

invaders00 New Member

I love you so much. You can't even understand.
  11. nerdnosyd

nerdnosyd New Member

I've updated the original post with a new pack of icons with more uniform sizes as well as the originals which are now just 4 psds instead of 40. For the time being, I've decided to continue to support my icons as I feel they are different enough from ozonex03's to warrant it. Plus it's fun.
    Thank you! I thought about doing what you did and just straight up porting them but the Supcom icons were always a little small for my eyes; I always had to get uncomfortably close to my monitor to figure out tech levels on the icons. :lol: And yes! We do need a modding forum!
    I don't know if that's aimed at me or not but I'll take what I can get!
  12. acey195

acey195 Member

If you can change the shader, you can fix this pretty easily and since I have seen shader mods already, I do not see why not.

just make the part you want to be player color a color you would not use in the texture, 0,1,0 (RGB green) for instance.

then do a Green minus Red minus Blue.
    use this as a float to multiply with 1,1,1 and the player color. this way you should be able to use white in the icons as your mask float would get. -1 (1 minus 1 minus 1) so white would not get player color.

then take the original texture and subtract the mask float, which makes it black where the player color should be. Finally then add the player color calculated above.

Note I just did this of the top of my head, so I may have made a mistake. But I think it should work :p.
  13. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

good idea

But still im stuck becouse there can be only 30 icons. I cant add more icons for now and i need to find how to fix it
  14. xedi

xedi Active Member

Yeah, I'm waiting on that too.

acey195, can you expand on the shading? I know what I'd want the code to do, but I don't know what I need to change to make it work. Where is the code that is used for this?
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Strat icons don't have a unique shader (yet?) to allow this.

edit: I take that back, they use a generic shader but currently only strat icons use it, so it kind of is a unique shader.

textured_unlit_bgra_colorized.fs
  16. xedi

xedi Active Member

Thanks a lot! I'll take a look.
  17. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

cool!