Mod suggestions

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by ljfed, November 18, 2015.

1. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

Every time I recall a control group I find my self having to zoom out. I also have to click somewhere to stop the camera from following the units which gets super annoying when you are trying to target something such as a fabber. I would like something that A) does not zoom in or out when you recall a control group. This would also apply to the 'track' hotkey. B) does not follow units when you recall a control group.
    I also think it would be nice to have a 'jump to' hotkey which would act like the track hotkey except it doesn't follow units.
    @n00n maybe you could add the last one, or maybe all of them to your expanded hotkeys mod?
    tracert and Alpha2546 like this.
  2. n00n

n00n Active Member

Are you wanting the zoom totally removed (resulting in units possibly not being visible) or a way to set the camera distance for the air and orbital pre-set zoom levels (that are used)?

Panning also stops the tracking, I've never found this annoying myself. It sounds like you're using control groups where you should be using camera anchors?
  3. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

I think it would be good to have two separate pre-set zoom levels. If you are in the air layer the zoom doesn't change before and after you recall a control group. If you are in the orbital layer it seems logical to zoom to the most zoomed out level of the air layer.
    Well when i said clicking i meant panning and also the units could be anywhere on the map so I don't think camera anchors would work.
    Just say I have some units on a control group and I jump to them. The units are under fire and I notice a fabber that I try to force fire before the units die. However, because the camera is moving this becomes difficult and I have to pan and then take a little more time to target the fabber by which time there aren't any units left. This is also the reason I wanted a 'jump to' button. If I sent my air to scout around the map I just have to press select all air units and then the 'jump to' hotkey which would save me having to pan. However I agree that this isn't very inconvenient so you don't have to add it if you don't think its necessary.
    tracert likes this.
  4. tracert

tracert Member

I would like something similiar where double pressing the select all air key would focus the camera on my airforce. Like how single pressing 1 selects control group 1, double pressing focuses the camera on the group.
    ljfed likes this.
  5. n00n

n00n Active Member

This is how it currently works but for some reason your zoom, along with the preset zoom levels are not working well? What resolution are you playing at?

Do you not use a dedicated attack hotkey? It makes it easier to target units as you can spam till you get it (obviously I'd recommend going modeless/click-free ;)). Let me know if that's no sufficient, as a don't follow mod is certainly doable.

I don't use said hotkey(s) and had always assumed they worked like that. I will implement this in expanded-hotkeys when I have a couple of minutes spear. Implementing this would introduce issues where you can't select additional newly created units until the double press timeout has elapsed. It's best to stick to using a dedicated hotkey to jump to the selection in order to keep game play consistent.
    Last edited: November 19, 2015
  6. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

Hmmm I just realized this doesn't happen to me all the time - I must only notice it when it doesn't work properly. I was just playing around with recalling control groups and I think i found the problem. I think it happens when I am in the orbital layer (I presume it is the orbital layer because it only occurs after a certain zoom level) and recall a control group lol. I never realized that the game worked like that :p
    Maybe to solve this problem the mod could zoom the the most zoomed-out level of the air layer if you recall a control group in the orbital layer. It's really annoying to go from zoomed out to super zoomed in.

I just tried to set a modeless attack hotkey and for some reason it didn't work. I also tried other modeless commands and disabled all my other mods which also didn't work. I remember trying it at an earlier date and it was working fine. Are you having any problems with it?
  7. n00n

n00n Active Member

Nope. That's strange, maybe a conflicting hotkey (it should be noted/alerted in the UI)? Let me know if you figure out a way to reproduce the issue.
  8. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

I had an idea to counter this, Auto setting camera anchors, anchors are great for jumping between the action and macro its just having to reset them before you go to another anchor location can get a bit annoying. If you had a way to auto set location of last used anchor when swapping between them, macro and micro can flow together beautifully. Imagine Putting your tr2 down, jumping to your last position on the field then back to the macro position to drop an energy line then jumping back to the last place you where on the field all without getting confused by camera angle changes and unit locks. Would also be great multiplanet making managing a number of battles easy as your always flipping directly to the position you were at before jumping from it.
  9. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General