Mod Market

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 23, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Soon (TM)?

or

OH! uhhhh.... listen complications have arisen....
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Like a market to sell your mods on to be used in PA?
  3. mellowautomata

mellowautomata Member

Dear god, I hope not.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

PAMM inside PA?

I quit if they ever have to be bought.
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

It should be the mod author's choice if they want to charge for their mod. I bet 95% of them have no intention of charging for them.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's kind of pointless to charge for them, given how trivial it would be to get around it. And there's a whole host of legal issues and vetting that would need to occur first too. Not worth Uber's time, I'd image (to allow paid mods that is, not in regards to an official mod manager).
    zihuatanejo and Nicb1 like this.
  7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'd rather it wasn't done at all. Guess I was just talking hypothetically.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  8. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that this would be a bad idea, just ignoring how to figure out the price of a mod let alone trying to get the credit-card info and all the legal..mess would be brutal. Even if it was incredibly cheap I generally wouldn't want to have to pay for mods that are made to make PA more silly,colorful, or mechanically easier. Most authors usually make mods for the game because they love the game and want to add their own little twist to it :) . Not for a profit
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

But paid mods was always part of the plan?

Oh boy, I have to pay for peoples weeks to months worth of work? Oh whoa is me!
    DalekDan, tatsujb and Pendaelose like this.
  10. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

Where did you hear this?
  11. squishypon3

Oh a VERY long time ago, a mod marketplace was a little idea taken by one of the developers at one point in time. The idea was to have both paid and free mods available within a mod manager actually built into the game, a "mod marketplace"
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. squishypon3

To everyone.

Don't worry devs, I know plans can change. :p
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

there are maybe 3 mods worthy of being paid for, for any game of all time, blackops & phantom mods for FA, and the lord of the rings mod(s) for the total war series
  14. squishypon3

Then you just proved the point that there can be mods that are worth being paid for? :p

Mods I see being viable as paid for mods are total concersions, or at least mods that add in very very many things to the base game. (Like an expansion pack would) things that arguably don't mod the game, but use the game's engine to make their own.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

1. set up paypal
    2. make donation button
    3. ???
    4. profit
  16. squishypon3

Having donations only is like having most people say all of your work is worth nothing, as most people don't ever donate, will play the mod, and not think of the creator(s) that put in so much effort.
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Total conversions are far too big a can of worms to allow them to be paid-for mods - and I say this as a maker of such mods.
  18. squishypon3

Please explain your reasoning.

Oh and for context, I'm speaking about total conversions that aren't based off another franchise, or at the very least are not using any content from other places.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/new-video-interview-with-jon-mavor-bob-berry.51191/
    squishypon3 and tatsujb like this.
  20. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

A mod marketplace seems a good idea in theroy, but i fear that it would be hell if it is really put in place.
    Look at the Armory. Some commanders are more expensive that the game at a medium discount...
    (Commander ! Cosmetic upgrade ! A few persons working for a few weeks ! Versus a whole team working for years !)

My best idea of implementation of the concept would be Uber paying the modders for interesting mods and then include them into the base game.
    Modders get rewarded, game get better. Yay !