MNC on Windows 10 and possible improvements for the emulator

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by teapot, December 2, 2015.

1. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Does anyone here have capability of testing if this is possible? We all kinda assumed it was but I just talked to the dev who made the program and he told me he's going to look into it. He told that M+KB weren't natively supported with streaming games, and that he was going to try himself. So an hour later he gets back to me an confirms it's not possible natively, but possible with external adapters which has always been the case.. meaning devices like the cronus max or the XIM 4.

Guess you can't play with a mouse and keyboard. Even these adapters that let you use M+KB don't mimic a perfect PC M+KB so it's not 100% accurate. We've had a few xbox users play PM's using this device. We also had the PC guys, raw mesiah come play us and they admitted to using the XIM 3 at the time. It's a shame cause they never got their full team on and we resorted to a 3v3.

Basically, I want to know if someone here has the ability to test this. I've seen developers that were flat out wrong about **** like this before, so I'm curious.

Another interesting tidbit from the guy who made the emulator.

"To your specific questions: 1) we explicitly try to exactly mirror the 360 game perf. Since you would be playing with 360 console users, we didn't want to give an edge to one player over another. That said, our loading times are faster, less screen tearing, etc., so there are slight differences side by side. 2) we also make sure to include all 360 bugs. In same cases, we were certain we had an emulator bug, only to find out we could repro it on the 360 side. That said, if you see any buggy behavior, please send us the bug on the forums. We may not always respond, but we do look at all of them. 3"

I know he's not saying this exactly, but MNC might have some potential to improve. Sounds like the game was intentionally replicating the 360 versions shitty issues, but for me it's a bit amplified. I wonder if it would be beneficial at all to compile a bugs list. There's a very dedicated site when Master Chief Collection came that detailed the enormous differences from OG Halo CE to the MCC version. Even though each game in the collection has issues, these guys are really dedicated with their findings and I dont think any other title has something like this. http://www.halobugs.com/

Thats above and beyond what I had in mind. I think it can't hurt to send a giant list to those guys and see what they can do. I doubt we'll get anything fixed in terms of actual bugs and glitches, but we could possibly get some better stability between cross-platforms.
    y3434 likes this.
  2. untouchablexp

untouchablexp Active Member

"Get gud"
  3. leadlpmaster

leadlpmaster Active Member

To be honest, if they could get the game to run at a decent framerate I'd play it.

I wasn't aware Windows 10 had something like this either. Certainly sounds interesting at least.
    teapot likes this.
  4. teapot

I wonder what they can actually improve and whats already set in stone, but I wonder if I can show enough proof of horrible frame drops or other weird glitches, then who knows. I also assume the things they would fix have to not exist on the 360's end.

So a clip like this might not be passed because I've had a few laggy grapples like this before, but on Xbox One it's incredibly common.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Teapot Yo/video/13126564
  5. y3434

y3434 Active Member

In theory, with PC streaming you should be able to use software emulation of the controller, so you really don't need an external device like XIM 4. But of course, perfect emulation of the controller is not possible anyway, because every game translates the controller signals differently. Only games that are designed for M+KB can be "natively" played with M+KB. But if we are talking about "cheating" - yes, that should be possible with Win10 and controller emulators (hard or soft).

> Sounds like the game was intentionally replicating the 360 versions shitty issues, but for me it's a bit amplified.

Not the game. The emulator. The emulator is replicating the issues that existed in (or because of) the XB360 hardware and the OS.
    The MNC game that runs on the 360 and the MNC game on One is the same exact code which nobody will fix.
    I think issues are "amplified" on One because the emulator is in fact slower than the real xb360. So all sorts of "lag", timing, synchronization bugs, frame drops occur more.
    What he's saying is that they will look at bugs and try to fix them only if those bugs look like the emulator bugs.
    So yes, the emulator has potential to improve, and yes, we should report bugs. Even if they are not new compared to the 360, but more frequent.
  6. notgunkedcontrol

notgunkedcontrol Post Master General

I haven't had any more or less of those types of lag problem son the one in comparison to the 360. But the frames are absolutely ridiculous that if I want to play against anyone that will shoot back I need to jump on the 360.
  7. teapot

Well what I'm led to believe is that MNC cannot be streamed to other windows devices, and that feature is for xbox one games only or something, not emulated games. If it CAN be streamed, then I definitely know theres ways to work around it.

Also, I said it sounds like the game is replicating the 360 version.. meaning the xbox one version which is an emulator, so yeah I kinda know how this works but I guess my experience is different from most peoples. I've said the game is pretty much unplayable and I'm finding new glitches and stuff and others are telling me the games are fine for them. So yeah my frame rate drops immensely, and the servers are even more laggy but I believe that causes even worse glitches to occur. So I'd assume the game would at least be playable if it had less frame issues, because side by side it's night and day. The games aren't even close to each other so I know they cant fix 360 code, but I wonder if the could make the game run any better on the emulator.
  8. y3434

y3434 Active Member

Yeah good point. I don't know if it can be streamed. I don't know how exactly the streaming works. If it simply sends video from xbox and controller input back to xbox, then anything can be streamed, but things are probably more complex in reality.
  9. teapot

Nootoons said Chat Frag plays from a laptop. Not sure if he just runs is 360 to display on it or he's doing the game streaming feature..

Anyway some are saying the lag is fine, but I still think the game is unplayable. I tried to record some clips but much like anything I recorded on my El Gato Capture card.. the frames seem less bad in the video then they do in the game. I don't know if recording these ends up putting a strain on my xbox, but idk why that happens.

Nootoons also claimed the feel the scrambler skill drain feature after getting grappled by assassins. Idk if that's true or not but I'll see if I can replicate it. It's such a pain to play, it's honestly not in the slightest bit fun. I literally can't fight people who I wouldn't even give second thought about chasing down. At the same time I see Nova Warlord on who I assume is back via X1 emulator. Dude has no problems sniping, (idk if he was host) but for me I can't even scope in.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Teapot Yo/video/13280898

Another annoying aspect of playing on the X1 is how different the controllers are. It's not just about the feel of the buttons, but the X1's controller has very different deadzones in their analog sticks compared the 360. While much more responsive, it's harder to control micro-movements. You can somewhat notice it going from 360 to X1 by looking left and right, then looking up and down. You can only change horizontal and not vertical sens, so put it on three and test this on both systems. X1 feels like it has a bigger gap between it's X and Y axis. I'll try putting my sens on 2 and see if that feels closer to 360's 3.

Such a shame with this game.
  10. teapot

I don't think theres much they can do to fix this at this point. I was informed that going forward they may lean more towards getting the X1 emulator to the best state as possible as opposed to purposely replicating the 360 issues. Not sure what they can change or not but hopefully something can improve.
  11. notgunkedcontrol

notgunkedcontrol Post Master General

I'm installing the halo reach backwards compatibility and I'm going to see if it has the same frames that MNC has or if it is a MNC specific issue. If it isn't just MNC then maybe we could see a fix eventually.
  12. teapot

It's not just MNC and there's a huge reach thread where people are complaining and saying it's unplayable. Just like here though some claim they have no issues and that it's fine. I can link the thread if you want.
  13. teapot

Has anyone noticed any improvements? apparently they updated the emulator but I didn't get an update. Pretty sure it's not game based either but it was implemented I guess after a ton of Reach Frame Rate complaints.
  14. feedle

feedle Post Master General

the emulator updates when you play any backwards compatable game i think
    the file size would be increased for the download of the game or when you play it there will be a message for a download update.

halo reach was updated as far as i know
  15. y3434

y3434 Active Member