Missing UI

Discussion in 'Support!' started by LavaSnake, October 1, 2014.

1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'm getting an error where about half of the time I start up a match I get a screen like this:
    Capture.PNG

As you can see most of the coherent UI stuff is missing. This tends to happen most often in windowed mode and oddly enough persists through F5 presses and full restarts of PA. It will continue until I completely reboot my machine and then restart PA.

I have Windows 7 and fully up to date drivers. My performance is great in every other way and the UI on non-game menus works fine always.

Does anyone know a fix for this or should I make a tracker entry? Thanks!
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Did you try running PA with --nomods (or was it --no-mods, well, something like that)? Also anything odd in the PA log files?
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What does the UI debugger say?
  4. LavaSnake

It still happens without mods and the UI debugger looks very normal to me:
    upload_2014-10-1_10-58-52.png
    upload_2014-10-1_10-58-25.png
    upload_2014-10-1_10-59-30.png

Thanks for looking into this so quickly!
  5. DeathByDenim

Weird. Well, judging from the screenshots you are on Windows, so it's probably time for a DxDiag.txt. :)
    Also, you ignored my question about the PA log files. ;)
  6. LavaSnake

Sorry I missed that. The logs look fine to me. BTW, I have up to date graphics drivers and Windows 7 so no need to sort through the dxdialog for that. Here it is in case you want to check something else.

Also, it doesn't seem to be driver related since it happened before and after I updated my drivers.

Attached Files:

7. DeathByDenim

Yeah, no weirdness there that I can tell. I find it weird that it takes a reboot of your computer to fix the problem though. Next time it happens, quit PA and check if there are still Coherent or PA processes running in the background. If there are, kill them and see if that brings back the UI without rebooting your computer. Not a solution obviously, just triaging.
  8. LavaSnake

I actually beat you to that. Nothing stays running after I close PA as far as I can tell.
  9. DeathByDenim

Really weird how PA could do something that requires a reboot to clear then... Well, I'm stumped.
  10. LavaSnake

Well thanks for trying to help. Should I just go ahead and post a bug report or does someone else have an idea?
  11. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

you could try removing your local files, they are in user/appdata/local/uberentertainment.
    removing this folder will clear all local content and settings which might fix your issue.

keep in mind that this also erases any galactic wars and saved systems
  12. LavaSnake

This was an issue since I installed PA on this Windows installation so I doubt that's the problem. Thanks for trying though!
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Having a look at your DXDIAG I do notice something- your running a 6800K + a dGPU in 'dual graphics' mode. The thing is PA *doesn't support crossfire* which is how dual graphics works.

Just as a quick experiment, could you disable the option completely (will require a reboot) and try PA again forced to run on either the iGPU or dGPU (but not both). I've got a feeling this might be what's causing you problems!
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

any chance it could be a compatability option?
  15. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

my main desktop runs 2 AMD HD 6950 in crossfireX and has no trouble with PA whatsoever, but yeah different setup different problems
  16. LavaSnake

hm, well I have it configured so any games that don't support dual graphics will run on the iGPU by default and all of PA's graphics work fine. It's just some of the coherent UI doesn't render sometimes. After a reboot everything works fine.

What do you mean by that?

I'm guessing that it has something to do with PA's window code since it tends to happen in windowed mode and almost never happens in fullscreen as long as I don't try to give focus to another window.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think it might be a case of adding in specific profiles into the driver software for both pa.exe *and* cohrent UI process as well... That's why I was suggesting disabling and testing- just to prove / disprove if dual graphics are related to the problem or not, if disabling 1 card solves the issue then it's probably just a matter of going through the profile settings carefully- but I guess it could be unrelated.
  18. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I know I have a similar issue when I start some games, but it goes away after 4 minuites of starting the game, so I think it's just my system loading everything slowly on the laptop I'm currently using.
  19. LavaSnake

Well I'll give it a try.

I don't think it's that since I've let it sit for a long time and everything else loads quickly.
  20. LavaSnake

I just got the issue again today so I tested your suggestion by toggling off Dual Graphics in the catalyst control center. It did fix it (so thanks a ton) but it seems to be the act of refreshing the graphics somethings that does the trick and not actually the change in configuration.
    cdrkf likes this.