Missiles Fetish...share your idea's!

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by kent4ro, March 16, 2013.

?

Do you like rocket warfare in general?

1. 1.yes

112 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. 2.no

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3.what?

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. kent4ro

kent4ro New Member

so obviously enough,we're gonna have rockets and missiles in the game,whether it be the orbital factory that sends units to orbit,or just an anti rock missle (when someone is slinging a planet at yours)

basically i want this thread to suggest theme's and general concepts for the effects and different uses of the missiles we'll have ingame.

aight,so my first few idea's :

1.IPBM (inter plantery ballistic missile)
    not much to describe,talking about a giant missile launched from either a stationary silo on a planet,or maybe some kind of orbital missle platform.

possibilty of carrying a nuke warhead,but it would be too mundane,so i'm thinking different types of missile with different effcts,such as : cluster bomb missiles,plain old 50ton TNT warhead that clears a rather large area of units with respect to proximity,or missile carrying a "hive" of smaller missiles inside it.

how i'd like it to look : http://youtu.be/XwvNuZLASdE?t=4s

difficulties :
    1.travel time between planets? (cruising speed)
    2.amount of damage it will do
    3.how would it be countered?
    ===
    2.Land to sea/land to land Missle
    my current direction with this missile is most likely equipped on missile ships/subs
    or on a surface static platform.

on this one again,not seeing too many options regular explosive warhead maybe with extra damage to big targets? such as warships/experimentals or what not.

how i'd like it to look :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNztSsjmLYU

difficulties :
    1.rate of fire
    2.cost of of the missiles themselfs
    3.range and damage
    4.can it be countered?
    ===
    for now thats all i got,but you are most welcome to post your own concepts,better yet attach a link to a video so we can see what you mean.

cheers.
  2. Nelec

Nelec Member

I wasn't a big fan of the missiles in FA, and laughed at how the missile was bigger than the explosion it created. They never seemed to pack much of a punch, so I didn't use them often, instead, normal arty. Hope they don't look as comical as this did in FA, because missiles are awesome.
  3. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

There need to be swarm missiles.

They are in many ways the epitome of the game, not shooting for realistic, shooting for awesome. A cloud of missiles hurtling across the battlefield and laying waste (for varying definitions of waste) to huge swathes of land. Of course the downsides are that the balance of such an aoe weapon and the impact on battlefield readability when mass mass missile swarms go off...
  4. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

They need AA DU Splitter missiles.

Missiles that upon reaching 10 meters of a group of aircraft explode into a spread of DU pellets dealing AOE damage to a clustered group of enemy aircraft. Ineffective against singular aircraft (which normal SAMs are better at dealing with) but devastating against massed ones.

[​IMG]
  5. RCIX

RCIX Member

If I can believe the number of missiles launched fits in the robot it was launched from, there needs to be more missiles.
  6. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

there is an inate problem with the du splitter missile, in that its basically a visual effect on a normal missile, and splash AA weapons can't be spammable and devastating at the same time... so sad times (for further info search for high tier flak).
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Unless there was an economic disincentive that came from a metal-cost.
  8. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I would love to have some Tsar Bombs :cool:

[​IMG]
  9. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

ahh my eyes! :) ... D: dis like to much repeat bad image
  10. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Nothing like a good missile swarm to ruin someone's day!
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

AI design will help limit AoE blobbing issues. That seems to be one of Sorian's major goals.

AoE is a very powerful tool for destroying enemy death balls. It is also very easy for it to become stupidly overpowered. For the case in point, just check out flak weapons in Supcom. Moderately effective in normal numbers, but on the high end it just falls apart. The flak weapons annihilate infinite gunships, before they can even fire the first shot. That's just awful.

Death-based AoE is effective because it's something a unit can use to counter itself. But mostly, air issues have to be dealt with on their own terms. Game design around flying units can not be easily fixed by mere counters alone. You gotta first address the fundamental issue that fast units always have a critical advantage over slow units. It's quite simple. Mobility == power.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

What would be really cool is if you could build T2 SAMs, and give them ability that switches them between regular HEAT/Frag missiles and DU Splitter missiles or Airburst warheads. T1 AA would just be regular kinetic rounds.

As for missile fetishes, I had (and still have) a massive hard-on for TML snipes, so I'm hoping we have a Macross Missile Massacre unit somewhere in-game. That and high-damage TMLs.

Another thing is multi-stage missiles. Multi-stage nukes would be awesome.
  13. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

Giant units with big swarm missiles will get all my bits!
  14. Morsealworth

Morsealworth Member

As I said in nuke thread, I want:
    1. High-altitude electronics-frying EMP explosions.
    2. Interplanetary missiles that can shift planet's orbit.
  15. kent4ro

kent4ro New Member

completely agree with you,the rocket warfare in supcom was borderline useless not to mention visually boring as hell.

regarding the AoE effect on ground masses/air masses
    i agree that against masses whether it be air or ground,an aoe weapon will play a key position in the defence against them,however... as much as it being a defence tool,it should be also be seen as a possible "strat breaker" which means that players will become too accustomed to just spamming aoe defences and having their minds at ease.
    so whils't i agree with Aoe i also dread that improper balancing will cause it to get out of control in terms of metagame.
    besides,massing units it pretty much what we all end up doing in the vanilla case,but i think unit formations may be the savior from this possibly broken "Aoe defence" meaning that a player that moves a force just by right clicking and letting the mass "attack move" will suffer much more unit losses than a player that used a mixed/single formation for the army that he is marching.
  16. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Corrosive gas missiles that hit a large area then spread out even further.

Be a great area denial weapon, but people could choose to move their army through the gas to save time even if say, a third of their hp gets chomped off.

Be awesome to fill the other side of your planet with gas where the enemy is landing troops and trying to get a foot hold. You could just fly in and mop with gunships...

Would be interesting too see how it would be affected if weather got implemented too but I doubt we'll weather for some time/ever.

Besides standard Nuke and EMP missiles, dummy missiles loaded with basic attack bots would be cool. The missile could detonate just before the counter missile hits then seed the planet with basic attack bots. Be a great diversionary trick
  17. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I like the idea of corrosive gas missiles because with the terrain skin technology you could reduce a world to a glowing radioactive wasteland instead of just a blasted crater field. For anyone who wonders why robots capable of operating in lakes of superheated mercury would be vulnerable to acid, see EMP discussion, you can always have stronger acid.
  18. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

What ?

Nobody mentionned the good Ol'MIRV ?

This is a seriously BadA** Missile...
  19. freez89

freez89 New Member

I Agree this would be an Awesome Missile for lager masses of units
  20. lynx88

lynx88 New Member

Why stop at 4 when you can have MISSILE SWARM
    [​IMG]