Metal Planet question.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by doomrater, December 18, 2013.

1. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Why do we still have to use metal spots to get metal off of a metal planet? Was this just thought as too overpowered to just be able to build extractors anywhere? I remember only wanting to play on metal planets in TA because of that one change to gameplay, personally, and thought that Kingdoms maps ended up very boring as a result of the same lack of "rare resource" gathering having to be placed in a specific spot.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Neutrino answered on it before:
  3. quigibo

quigibo Member

I hated metal planets in TA because it always led to turtling.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

In TA, there weren't multiple planets.

Atm, metal planet would be an instant win. The second you got control of one, in 3 minutes you would have unlimited resources, in 6 you would have 40 factories pumping out units as fast as possible.

So, to balance them, they don't infinite metal. There is an option coming to make that independent of the map (so everyone has infinite power/metal even on earth planets), or simply doubling power/metal across the board. Whatever you want.

However, metal planets will have some sort of special ability. Like it will be able to do something, like fly on it's own or shoot a weapon or something.
  5. quigibo

quigibo Member

They already look like the Death Star or Unicron.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well considering that the idea that metal planets have some kind of crazy weapon has been he idea going as far back as the KickStarter stretch Goal description it's not really a surprise! xD

Mike
  7. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Metal planets do become an easy win scenario that way... it's what I guessed but wasn't sure. I need to search the threads harder.
  8. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

It might be a nice idea to try limiting the max number of mines on a metal planet while removing the restriction on where you can build, Going over this max limit would result in diminished performance of the metal planets special ability as you begin turning more and more of the planet into scrap.

This effect could even be a permanent thing, so you could see players opting to turn it into an epic metal resource planet at the cost of loosing any special function the metal planet has.

I certainly don't want the metal planets to become an easy win to you when your opponent happens to start elsewhere on a non metal planet. Maybe if metal planets were limited in other ways like their size for example.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's far too early to day anything like that, we know pretty much nothing about how the metal planet stuff is being implemented so its currently impossible to judge that kind of thing yet.

Mike
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It hasn't been brought up a lot. Just the part where metal planets can't be overpowered with that kind of economy buff.

They did mention them having jets or a weapon that can be activated, just way way long ago.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a "metal asteroid" that is literally 20 in size yet can have mexes anywhere. That way, you could only fit 8 mexes on it in total, and would be vunerable for easy attacking with nukes or fighters.