Metal planet idea

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by pelicandudex, February 21, 2014.

1. pelicandudex

pelicandudex New Member

Sorry if there's another post similar to this, but I looked around the forum for a little while and couldn't see any. So, with that, here we go:

So there's a lot of debate concerning the metal planets at the moment, mainly because metal extractors aren't construct able "everywhere," like they were back in TA. So, I thought that I would throw my hat into the ring of people spamming countless suggestions and whatnot at the poor devs.

We know (or at least, most of us know) that it wouldn't truly be balanced to have an entire planet as a metal extraction site. If everyone started out on a tropical type planet, and there was a metal planet hanging in the sky, then the game would just become a space race for who gets to the giant hunk of unlimited resources first. I personally feel that would be rather boring and unsatisfying.

However, currently the solution to this problem is to have the metal planets be effectively no different from any of the other planets, at least in terms of metal extraction. This makes metal planets seem rather... silly. I know that the devs are working on a solution, but I thought I would suggest my own idea for the metal planets:

Have metal extraction "zones." Basically, have sections of the planet that are more like little fortresses, inside of which there are very rich metal deposits. This would shake up game play on the metal planets, making it a game of who controls the metal forts. These sites could also possibly have something to do with the secret metal planet abilities that we've been hinted at about.

The total metal extraction rate of a metal planet, if you were to control all the zones, should still be higher than a normal planet (in my opinion), giving them a high economic value. However, by limiting the metal extraction sites to a relatively small surface area of the planet, I think it effectively balances them.

Here, have a terrible 2 minute mock up that poorly illustrates what I'm talking about:
    example.jpg

Anyway, that's just my idea. If you have a better one, feel free to talk about yours here too, I suppose. Until next time, merry bot slaying!
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The narrow passageways mean they are like fortresses, they're very much air zones.

If there were one complaint I'd level at metal planets it's that one metal planet is pretty much identical to any other metal planet.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

A metal planet is unlike any other planet, how much more special does it need to be?

This is an attempt at solving a non-existent problem.
    Quitch likes this.
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Right now that is wrong, as a metal planet is exactly like other planets.
  5. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

I said something similar to your idea in another post! But yes I think this also should be done on a metal planet. Capture point via Metal Extractors, around 5 for a zone! The zone are the area purpose e.g. Energy Planet, Death Star Laser, Planet Thrusters, Defense Outpost, etc...

For this to happen they will have to create a feature for the Metal Planet generation that only allows for metal deposits. Also the other problem will be with smaller metal planets, as they recently change it procedural generation for them so they not as cluttered and easier to play on.

But we have to wait and see what the Dev's come up with so that it works for everyone.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

We know the devs have some plans to make different planet types more unique, but they've been too busy giving us all these other cool toys to get around to it. Neutrino has said a few times that he would like to add more planet specialization. They might be waiting for balance to get closer before adding aything that could undo all Scathis' work.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Are we playing the same game here?
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Ice/desert/lava/moon/earth/water worlds are all similar, are they also wrong?
  9. Devak

Every other planet is like every other planet.

Why does a metal planet need to be special?

What i meant by the way, is that the terrain of a metal planet is unique in that it has pole caps and long trenches limiting ground movement in a way other planets do not.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

So it is the same or is it different to you? Make up your mind.
  11. igncom1

If anything, the metal planets should be the designated 'competitive balance' planet, an be uniform in their structure and mex layout so they can be good for completive 1 v 1's.
  12. Quitch

God no, I hate metal planets, nothing but chokepoints.
  13. igncom1

Most competitive maps are built on a standardised design.

So metal worlds fit the bill.
  14. Quitch

You mean symmetrical, so no they don't.
  15. igncom1

And would you care to back up that statement with proof?
  16. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

They are completely artificial worlds.
  17. Quitch

Would I like to back-up my contradiction of your evidence free post? Why are you holding me to a higher standard than yourself? Show they're symmetrical first.
  18. Devak

The metal spots are not symmetrical but the design, iirc is symmetrical.

I was afraid you wouldn't understand.

They're the same in that they're a planet you play on and it has no special features like weapons or infinimetal.

They're different in that they're symmetrical in design, feature pole caps and Death-Star trenches
  19. omniao

omniao Active Member

The least they could do is have metal planets with structures on them, which you could capture. Or you could capture the metal planet, and it glows your team color.
  20. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Well the only problem is they arent used in competitive play, which makes me sad.