metal planet can't fire if its the first planet

Discussion in 'Support!' started by toric55, October 13, 2014.

1. toric55

toric55 Member

was playing in the battlefield system, (the stock one, provided by uber.) and i was finally able to take over the metal planet. however, after building the catalysts, i was unable to use them. after clicking on the use weapon button (or whatever it is) i could not select anything else accept cancel. any ideas? i assume this is not indented behavior?

EDIT: it turns out that this issue has nothing to do with moons, but if the metal planet is the first planet in the drop down list on the top right, it cannot be used. (seems to be OS X only.)
    Last edited: October 22, 2014
  2. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

You should be able to select a target planet from the planet menu on the top right, you might have to expand the menu to do that, I'm not sure because I always have it open anyway.
    The menu should show a red circle on the right of each planet that is a valid target, so basically everything except gas giants and the metal planet itself.
    Was that not showing up ?
  3. toric55

toric55 Member

the menu was expanded, but i couldn't click on any of the planets. there were no circles of any kind on the screen, apart form the ones showing orbits. (didn't have the patience to finish the game after that, unfortunately.)
  4. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Maybe you ran into the bug that crashes the UI on trying to activate chrono-cam?
    See point 5 in this thread:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/know-issues.65155/

This is how it should work, with video:
    http://pamatches.com/tutorials/how-to-destroy-planets-with-the-metal-planets-catalyst/
  5. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Should definitively work, there was even a bug fixed where the orbiting moon would outrun the metal planet's targeting mechanism.
  6. toric55

toric55 Member

running on a nvida, and never opened the crono.
    i also watched the vid before posting.
  7. toric55

toric55 Member

tested again, doesnt work. it may be more to do with the fact that the metal planet is at the top of the list, which has been giving me problems for the last few patches. (I'm not able to jump to it from the drop down menu.)
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That's rather odd. What's you screen resolution by the way? Maybe the height is too small and causes issues?
  9. toric55

toric55 Member

I'm on a macbook pro, so its 1440 x 900...
  10. toric55

toric55 Member

ok, tested again, it has nothing to do with moons, but if a metal planet is the first planet in the drop down list, it doesn't work.
  11. toric55

toric55 Member

well, still happens, anyone else encountered funnies with the first planet in the list?
  12. toric55

toric55 Member

13. DeathByDenim

I just tried to reproduce it and it works just fine. My screen height is the same as yours. Although I have 1600x900 (and Linux). Weird.
  14. toric55

toric55 Member

huh. anyone else have a mac they can test it on?
    Last edited: October 22, 2014
  15. DeathByDenim

Mouse over "Thread tools" just above the first post and to the right. It will allow you to change the title.
  16. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

My friend just reported to me that he was controlling a metal planet in a game, blasted a couple other planets, and then the metal planet refused to fire on any more planets. He clicked all the planets in turn and after some time it worked again... when he clicked his own home planet.

This kind of thing happens all. the. time. Metal planets and halleys refusing to target planets, for no apparent reason. To do with gimbal locking or orbit calculations maybe?

Anyway we should be able to expect this stuff to work every time.
  17. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I've had problems getting the Annihilaser firing from the menu selection, but works fine physically clicking on the planet from the System view
  18. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Yes, it usually works if you click directly on the planets. The problem is, in systems with a dozen planets it can be extremely hard to tell which is which, and if two planets are so close together that their "click zones" overlap, it can sometimes be impossible to select the correct one.
  19. toric55

toric55 Member

im not seeing the "click zones" in my case. however, if the metal planet is not the first one on the list, everything works.
  20. toric55

toric55 Member

and based on how the camera works, i don't think that we are using a polar coordinate system, in which case gimbal locking shouldn't be an issue.