Metal Planet Balance Idea

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Geers, September 7, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

While the primary weapon is charging/firing, all metal spots cease to produce metal.

Thoughts?
    websterx01, tehtrekd and igncom1 like this.
  2. raphamart

raphamart Member

I prefer the ammo idea of another topic, but it could work too.
  3. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I was always under the impression that, like in TA, metal planets could build metal deposits anywhere.

Now I think of this. Because metal planets have laser of wtfdoom, why not have NO metal deposits available on the metal planet. Bam. It ceases to be a planet one can just "hold" and self-control forever. If you're stuck on the metal, you better hope you have a base elsewhere or can control that gas giant, cuz otherwise, that weapon is as good as useless.

Of course, when you own an entire metal planet, all you have to do there is fuel your power economy (safe power is good power) and build large units through teleporters using quick orbital for instant movement instead of having to traaaaaavellll them so sloowwwwlyyyy ooooooverrrrr theee plaaaaaneeeeeet. Screw that. Insta-teleporter for T2 units. It's a higher scale of strategy, obviously, but it works.

Thoughts?
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, we still want the planet to be playable by itself. It's in interesting concept, though cool-down or something similar would likely work better.

Edit: your idea would really only slow down the instant win scenario.
  5. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I'm not saying to keep the unlimited firing, and I believe it was already stated somewhere on the forums from Uber that they were going to do something about the spamability, so that's really a moot point.

The planet is still playable irrelevant if it has economy or not. Have you seen the video where Zaphod played a game with zero eco?

Limited to one planet, sure it's an interesting gametype, but removing the eco on a planet with a superweapon will make it exactly the same scenario as smashable moons. It requires you to have superior control of something that gives economy. Being stuck on a planet with no eco but a superweapon promotes more orbital-suited gameplay.

Not only that, but it completely solves the planetary turtle who simply wants to go to the metal planet and eco-whore till they spam the laser and win.

Edit: The way I see it, if you had enough resources to go to a metal planet (without metal deposits), build ALL of the structures, and STILL hold off the enemy, you're obviously obscenely ahead on your economy and would have won with or without the superweapon.

If you have equal economy, and you're spending it on the superweapon instead of defending, they're going to run you over and you'll cease to have income to build said weapon.
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

For 15 seconds? That's really not significant in the long run.
    Yeah, I've already decided the Annihilaser is completely useless in a game where both sides want to win and it isn't some Realm funmatch or something. This would only strengthen my point.