Metal Fatigue [Remake for PA]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by meisterlone, June 29, 2013.

1. meisterlone

meisterlone New Member

Howdy,

Alright so, hopefully some of you are familiar with the 2000 title called Metal Fatigue.

One of the interesting aspects of this game is the triple-tier map, where the player is effectively in control of units on the surface, which is the main area of play while also having access to orbit and underground map areas that have limited playing surface but are each rich in a resource type.

[​IMG]

Another gameplay aspect of this game is upgradable robots (Called combots) that can be built and customized using parts that are manufactured based on the tech tree of the race being played.

It is also worth noting that the original game used a similar resource mechanic to that of PA - Energy/Power and Metal.

[​IMG]

These are some of the goals for now:
    *Use all of the original sounds and music.
    *Remodel all of the units and buildings.
    *Produce HD versions of the original textures.
    *Stick with the original gameplay mechanics, tech trees and so on.

[​IMG]

Anyone interested?
    What do you think of this mod idea?

Regards,
    M
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, I'd join you and help with the models and textures if I weren't already tied up with my own mod. Never heard of Metal Fatigue before now though.
  3. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I cringed when I read "Combot"
  4. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

I remember this.
    Fun fact: Metal Fatigue was the last game to support the PowerSGL API (think Direct3D/OpenGL but proprietary for the hardware) for the PowerVR line of hardware 3D accelerator cards. There were more games you could run on the cards but they used API wrapper drivers to do so.

Off topic, a game I would rather see a total conversion of would be Populous: The Beginning. Its already in the same theme of an RTS game on a planet-like battlefield (the maps were viewed as a sphere because you could only see a small part at a time but were actually tori? toruses? whatever plural of torus is :?) and the shaman unit would more directly translate to the commander unit in modding terms. If I remember correctly the mana resource behaved similarly to a streaming economy model as well.
  5. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

I hope this happens, I used to love Metal Fatigue!!
  6. akiride

akiride New Member

start a project by kickstarter.com
    kongkillha likes this.
  7. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Metal Fatigue was awesome but it had so many design and implementation problems. Good luck with your project.
  8. nt122

nt122 New Member

Oh man I loved Metal Fatigue! Good luck with the project, friend!