Metal extractor spots - question

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pipilek, June 17, 2013.

1. pipilek

pipilek New Member

I have a question about the metal extractors, I see that they can be build everywhere on the map, but in TA there were special spots where u could build metal extractors, is this going to be in PA too or that idea has vanished?
  2. antillie

antillie Member

PA will have "metal points" like TA had. They just aren't functional in the game yet. If you look closely at the ground you can even see them scattered around.
    Last edited: June 17, 2013
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Metalsposts are already there. They are just not implemented yet gameplay-wise. They will be implemented. Hopefully soon^^
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

This has been on my personal plate for a while and I'm starting to realize it's not getting done unless I pass it off to someone else. Doing that now so we can make some progress. ;)
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Sometimes you have to let go. :D
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yeah. My project plan from the beginning was to do a lot of my heavy programming and tech stuff early in the project. Then move onto more of a project management role instead of focusing on fine detail. I love coding but it's increasingly difficult to find time so things that end up on my plate simply can't be critical path.
  7. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Regarding metal points. will we be able to run a planet dry of resources or at least metal ?.

Also is there any chance that as we mine Metal there will be some kind of an impact, like a crater growing larger around the extrator(s) ?
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I hope not on both counts, that kinda runs counter to the whole Econ Model of this SubGenre of RTS.

Mike
  9. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

It's hard to take that step back and delegate sometimes.
  10. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

What I'm curious about... is if it's going to be a thing like in TA where you can put them anywhere, but only on certain planets that they actually get a very small amount of metal out of the ground?

Like, for example, I know that grass planets you couldn't get metal out of anything but the metal deposits, but when you played a map like Red Planet, or anything with the Mars-esque surface, you could set a metal extractor basically anywhere and get 0.1 or 0.2 (depending on the map, and the Moho could crank what.. 0.6?) It wasn't anywhere near the 8-16 or so that the actual metal deposits gave you, but it damn sure helped when you needed your fusion energy for production.

I tried to search an answer from the forums about it, but it keeps giving me "you can't search at this time", so here I am.
  11. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

If you are able to place extractors where there is no metal, then they should only produce a very very small amount because there is metal in the ground, but just not a large concentration.
  12. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

I'm hoping this is how it works; gives it the TA feel, and makes metal planets easier to implement (Core Prime, anyone?).
  13. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Oh Yes, mass points, that will bring a lot off moore good things to the game.
    We will be waiting for you Mass points.