Metacritic Page

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by stuart98, August 22, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/planetary-annihilation-titans

I would like to thank @Elate to bring this to my attention.

Surprisingly, only one bs review that's not reviewing the actual game on there. Seems pretty easy to get some good reviews going there.

Oh, and BTW, be sure to report any reviews that you end up seeing that base the score on the fact that it isn't free as "Falls outside of the scope of the product".
  2. lordreynolds

lordreynolds New Member

Well, toxic language aside: He still has a point about how this is a marketing Fail.
    Sell it to everyone at a discount, KS backers get extra unit skins or some stuff no-one can complain about.
    All are asked to pay up equally, so the no-one can bitch about being thrown under the bus.

And looking at the Review history the guy is basically instant toxic if he feels treated like garbage. So... basically human.

Don't complain about people getting emotional, if you can't work that aspect into your decision making process in the first place, perhaps you should not make decisions.

I hope Titans does not get wrecked over this marketing debacle. Because the game looks good.
    Elate likes this.
  3. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Marketing fail? How so?

"Here's a new game: pay $10 if you already own it, free if your a KS backer, $40 brand new"
    Bsport, badfucatus, Nicb1 and 3 others like this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No matter how reasonable the deal was it's still sadly a marketing flop, and the reason is because so many people got miffed about it.
  5. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

You have no idea if it was, and Uber as company will for sure not give us any data about sales.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Metacritic what is wrong with you?
    35.jpg
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Metacritic. The place people go to have flamewars about which followship is larger: Pro or Con XYZ.

Has anybody actually ever visited that page to check ratings? xD
  8. Elate

Elate Active Member

Yeah, there were more about 2 hours ago. I'm also very interested to see where those went.
  9. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I think you guys are concentrating to much on negativity, Discussion forum got too many threads about trolls.
    Just go and enjoy the game.
  10. lordreynolds

lordreynolds New Member

And again you fail to grasp the point of contention.

The fact that a 30$ KS backer gets it for free while some who bought EA for 90 + perhaps commander dlc does not is what makes people angry.

You are a marketing guy, you want to promote your new game.
    Step one is to AVOID getting negative buzz right off the start.

Avoiding negative BUZZ is DIFFICULT if you flat out go and tell a large part of your customer base to go f+ck themselves.
    EA buyers are customers, just like Backers are.
    The argument about how KS backers made the game possible is irrelevant and stupid, since Steam buyers sure as f+ck did help fund further development and supported the game just as much.

You are treating them as second class customers and if you need help to understand just how toxic a move that is, than you are already a lost cause.

You have turned the Customers question "Do i want to spend 13 bucks for this new content?" into this one: "Wait why the hell am i treated like a cash cow here? What the f+ck?"

You turned the thought process from a standard buyers decision into a question about equal treatment and how the buyer got shafted.

That. Is. A. Marketing FAILURE.

I am sorry that you do not seem to get the basic realities of marketing and i am sorry that Titans now suffers review bombing and Forum rage and i am even more sorry that entitled assholes further fuel the flames by still propagating the whole KS backers are more important stuff.

But alas, there is no helping you.
    Planetar and Elate like this.
  11. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Welp, hater force got into metacritic and spam 1's. Oh well.

Uber have data, know who buys game, how it works and what is good. If they did what they did, They thought its more important to have only backers get the game for free, because giving it away for everyone would be a disaster.

You actually dont know if this was a marketing failure, because you have no data. Its words against words. And without data, you are losing.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  12. nizoox

nizoox New Member

Your excites you about people on the negativ reviews write about the price,but then you have to read positive reviews in which the first section to use the free and pay history

[​IMG]
    Elate likes this.
  13. xact4

xact4 New Member

The Data and whatever you're talking about have -no- relevance to the fact that it was or was not a marketing failure to pick and choose who got Titans free based on what website you backed them on.

It doesn't matter why they made the decision, it doesn't even matter if it was the right decision(it wasn't). What matters are the consequences. They pretty clearly burned ALOT of bridges, ALOT of people are angry, ALOT of people who would normally buy this game and support future UBER products will no longer do so. Therefore it's pretty easy to deduce from the outside that this was indeed, a marketing mistake.
    maskedcrash and Elate like this.
  14. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I backed only on one site and in time span of one month. Thats the point, nothing else. Without that one month nothing would be possible. Anything else is buying already working product that is in development. People dont understand that, and what they are buying. I bought idea, Steam buyers bought product in making. I got rewarded for believing in Uber and sticking to them. Steam buyers were rewarded with a discount for buying a game.

Also, Alot of bridges is still alive and not burning, please stop spreading lies. See?

[​IMG]

Edit. Also, marketing failure is when you are not making money. You dont know how it is, thats why I say about "data".

There always will be angry people, no matter what you do. If you give it free for 90$ buyers, 60$ buyers will be angry. And we can go up to 5$ sale buyers.

What I see is many people that dont see value in good work, that are cheap enough to complain about paying 13$ for 10 months of great work. For many people that is TOO MUCH. I ask why.
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Elate

Elate Active Member

Please, I used to play WoW, I crapped out £10 on a monthly basis. That isn't the issue for the majority of people, and I can surely tell you that if they only gave it to the 90$ backers I would have absolutely no problem. The issue is people that paid as little as $20 are getting it, while those that paid $60, and $90 on Steam are not.

And lets not keep pretending that EA wasn't important, as has been pointed out, the money from EA kept the game in development, it would not be where it is now had they not put it on EA.

There are a lot of people angry about this, it's not just Steam forums as people seem to think, take some time to look around. Due to the forum rules I can't post the links here, but people are complaining on Facebook, Reddit (Multiple sub-reddits), 4chan /v/ and various other similar boards, and private blogs.

EDIT: Added more links

Links:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/3hh294/steam_planetary_annihilation_titans_66_1258_off/
    http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/306914961/planetary-annihilation-titans
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3hgwl1/planetary_annihilation_titans_resurrects_a_flawed/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3hgxez/planetary_annihilation_titans_launch_trailer/
    https://www.facebook.com/planetaryannihilation
    https://mucephorous.wordpress.com/2...the-release-of-planetary-annihilation-titans/

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1481768
    http://v8chan.com/thread/5578948/planetary-annihilation-titans.html
    http://buzzkeys.com/1065-planetary-annihilation-titans-launch-trailer
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
    maskedcrash likes this.
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*too busy playing the game to post anything*

*sorry trolls*
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There is no rule per se that would disallow you from linking anything.
    There is a spam protection that prevents very new users from posting links, but you probably are not considered a new user anymore.
  18. Elate

Elate Active Member

I dunno, I was accidentally trying to link something the other day that had been quoted and I wasn't allowed because I'm still considered a "new member". I'll check it out in a bit though.
  19. felipec

felipec Active Member

I can't believe people complain about who got the free copy or not. To me it is clear what they are doing - Saying thank you to everybody that backed the project on kickstart. EA on steam would never exists if the KS fail.

Too many trolls against Uber, people should find something better to do with their lives.
  20. sevmek

sevmek Active Member

Hi,

The *bad* critics on steams and other platforms mostly fall down in 2 categories:

1- bugs/crash/technical issues
    This is nowadays quit usual among consumers to bash a product for its technical flaws in review section. IMHO this is just a bad practice. Coming from another world, the GNU/Linux one (with an emphasis on GNU, you'll see why), this feel weird and inappropriate. This is weird because saying the product is bad because it doesn't work on my hardware is not a review, by any measure. It is inappropriate, because there should be a public space where people could be able to complain, explain and help about those issues.In the free software world (which was initiated by GNU), we do have this culture to report to the devs issues with their products publicly (well, we are loosing it slowly as we begin to join the mainstream...). As a matter of fact Uber has a nice infrastructure for dealing with technical flaws but it is partly hidden, and partly not enough promoted.

My personal experience with those technical issues is Uber is taking care of such matter, but without much communication, except when there is a new release. I see technical things improving from release to release, and of course new issues emerging with new code, just as expected. As an example, the linux build suffered since the start from a very annoying bug where the selection box gets stuck, rending the game unplayable. It seems now fixed with the titans release (crossing fingers and testing more...). But not a single word was given about improvements when titans was released, which is most probably part of the plan to differentiate this release as a new product. Which in return impeded this culture about bugs I was referring to earlier.

2- The company price policy
    Again, price policy is not what's make a review. A review is about art, genre, gameplay... The price can be important, or not, in a review, as a side note. Being the core of a review is just wrong. Because the price policy not only is related to personal income, but more deeply is related to human desir, which is way to much subjective to be the core of a review.

As a conclusion, if you want to promote this game, dealing with either technical flaws or price policy will not help at all. This wont help people to become part of our community, but it will help people using those flawed arguments to occupy the space.

Please, show the game in its glory to the people. There is no reason to hide technical flaws, because this game is good enough to have a lot of fun with it, and Uber proved to be there to improve this area. Regarding the price policy, there is not even the need to mention it, it's written everywhere and far to much personal to argue about it.
    Last edited: August 23, 2015