Max number of players?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by wiccasick, September 15, 2013.

1. wiccasick

wiccasick Member

Hey, I dont know if this has been answered before. But I would like to know a upper limit on client hardware/connection for player counts.

Since I understood that it was possible with an endless amount of players on the server process. There must be an upper limit to traffic being sent to other players right?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The goal is 40 players.

Mike
  3. h4344

h4344 New Member

All the lag!
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Lag will be reduced as the netcode gets optimized and is mostly caused by the bandwidth consumption currently. Traffic is expected to be cut back to about 1/10th.

As for the hardware requirements ... don't expect to host a 40 player game unless your server has a dedicated 100Mbit connection. Gigabit if you want to go massive. Add sufficient CPU cores, at least one per planet. 40 players on one giant planet probably won't be possible (at least not with significant unit numbers, not on todays hardware), but 40 players spread across 10 planets plus a dozen asteroids/moons should work out, using a modern server class dodecacore or dualsocket if you wanna go cheap. Just make sure to add enough RAM to the server.

Hardware requirement on the client is much lower, both in terms of bandwidth and computation power.
    Last edited: September 15, 2013
    h4344 likes this.
  5. h4344

h4344 New Member

My server could run small scale for sure (10ish i would say) but larger could only be handled by my main rig, thats not happening though cause ill be too busy playing the game lol.
  6. wiccasick

wiccasick Member

I am fairly certain my server can host it. Would be nice to have more than 40 avalible, so we can try out the numbers.
  7. shotogun

shotogun Member

Servers aren't the issue most of the time. The real issue is network bandwidth.
  8. h4344

h4344 New Member

If you could get 40 players all with flawless connections in the first place i would be surprised. You could probably expect any 40 player match to drop to 35ish pretty fast.
  9. wiccasick

wiccasick Member

I would assume there would be that continuation of the 2v2v2v2 system where you share forces.

Essentialy, running a server where there is 4 teams of 10. or 10 teams of 4. Etc. People can log in and out, choose a faction, choose stuff like that. and the server can run for a day or two.

I think that would be very cool. Although I understand bandwith of the client is at risk,.