Max Mod Size?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by daxnitro, February 15, 2015.

1. daxnitro

daxnitro New Member

Is there a max size for a mod to be? My mod is 177 MB and it loads very slow in the game when in the lobby. Last time I checked (12:45, Feb 15th), the mod has not loaded for over 30 minutes now.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

there is no max size, but the mods needs to be uploaded by you to the server and downloaded by every player.
    The mod is not cached anywhere, so a new lobby means new up and downloading.
  3. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Are you sure your server mod needs to be that big, what types of file are in there?

The media/pa/units directory is ~173MiB, did you copy this in its entirety and make changes to the json files? If so, you can delete anything you haven't edited, removing the papa files will save a lot of space.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Textures take up the most space, so if you didn't change textures in your mod then don't shadow them.
  5. daxnitro

daxnitro New Member

Yes the majority of my mod's size is the default units from media/pa/units, so how could I make it smaller if it needs the units in the mod for the unit_list.json?

Edit: Ok I see what trialq said, and so I can just delete the .papa's and save space?
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Yes, you can delete anything you haven't edited. The papas are the big offenders when it comes to wasted space because they contain textures.
  7. daxnitro

daxnitro New Member

Thanks! I deleted all the extra .papa files and slimmed my mod down to 9 MB, and now it loads in under a second! :)
    stuart98 likes this.