Massive scale battles

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, November 15, 2013.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

When will having games of 10+ people happen?

Tried to make a system for it and it was just too laggy LOLz

I want epic, but i'm afraid system performance will be a buzzkill.
    is optimization first, or what?
  2. brahmasmi

brahmasmi New Member

I hear yah. My issue is that the game is super poor performance when im playing on one planet with the AI... My comp is pretty decent too...
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Optimisation is first. 10+, 20+ all the way up to 40 player games are planned. Whether the engine will be able handle that come December is anyone's guess at this point.
  4. dusanak

dusanak Member

Hey, don't worry, they are working hard on optimising the game. With each patch the game runs better and better, so just wait, by the time the game is released (probably late December), the game will run fine with 10+ players ;)
    stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  5. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Maybe setup a game with all players having a min of 16 gigs of ram?
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well i think it's obvious a min PA spec computer won't be up to the task.
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You can pretty rapidly get up to 500 units per player after about 25 minutes. More, if they go with the 'rally point in enemy base' strategy on a size 5+ planet.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If you are only getting 500 units in 25 mins, I feel like you aren't getting enough factory's.

I like to build mine in multiples of 4, and so my first group of factory's to auto builds bots/tanks is usually from 8 to 12 factory's.
  9. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

300-400 units by the 10min mark was the standard in alpha, havnt really looked at it for beta though.
  10. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I bet if Uber changed the number players that fit in a lobby to 40 that a 40 player game is possible. Just put all of the players on a 200size moon. :cool:

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    (Ninja'd it from KNight. I mean december is quite 'soon' right?)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

500?

More like 20,000 units.

I'm imagining a 40 player FFA (courtesy of Nanolathe) on a size 4 or size 5 planet. At 500 units per player, that nets you 20,000 units active at any time. I'm just making a wild guess that you can fit somewhere around 10,000 to 40,000 units distributed over a hotly contested planet before it becomes impossible to add more without them rapidly killing each other.

After all, this thread is about your computer's performance, not your build order.
  12. mered4

Yet the two are closely related......
  13. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Luckily the client AKA you pc only handels the grafics of the units it can see. Everything else in the fog of war is ignored by the client because it doesn't get that information. The client would only show your 500 units and maybe another 1000 radar dots of surrounding players. Unless you get Advanced orbital satalite up you should be fine.

The server must beable the handel all the units. But since Uber is running them I don't expect much problems there.
  14. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Getting 500 units is a waste of time..your enemy will have orbital and nukes long before you reach that number..which is a current flaw in the game
  15. igncom1

What? No, that is very unlikely unless they also intent to completely abandon the planet to you.
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Happened several times. One guy had zero units but spammed defense and got orbital nuke and controlled everything. Obviously many units are missing which makes it a pain in the *** to attack a well defended base. By the time you're units reach the defense they are all dead.
  17. igncom1

Then you really should expand out and use your superior economy to beat them at their own game.
  18. mered4

Thing is, if he turtles, you can expand and take out everything else by surrounding him. build umbrellas and some Anukes to protect your base, then just spam T2 (NOT t1) units to kill his outer layer of defenses. T2 Bombers are currently the best form of turtle-busting the game has. You just scout with 25 or so fighters to find the commander, send in 50 fighters and 15 t2 bombers after him, and micro the crap out of them until he dies. Cake.

He has made his base invulnerable to conventional attack, so just snipe him with something.

Yep. Exactly. Unless you are playing with a guy who HAS units and is actively harassing you. Then you are screwed lol
  19. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I've noticed playing scale 2 planets is less about nuke orbital which is better. scale3 and up mostly come down to nuke orbital wars with very few actual battles which to me is extremely boring. Scale 2 is more about massive amounts of units battling.