"mass" "engineers" etc

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by poofriend, September 20, 2013.

1. poofriend

poofriend Member

seriously can we stop using these terms? this is not supreme commander.
    globalrelative likes this.
  2. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

No, but it's partially based on it.
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

IIRC It they are still called engineers here. And Mass makes more sense than metal since machines are not 100% blocks of steel/iron/whatever anyway.
  4. poofriend

poofriend Member

it's based on total annihilation noobs, and they are called fabrication vehicles/bots, not engineers.

and the resource is metal, not mass. and the structures that extract that resource are appropriately called metal extractors.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

:rolleyes:
  6. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

Uber employees worked on both TA and SC, and PA is inspired, to a degree, by both games. It's based on both. They are called fabrication vehicles/bots/aircraft though...however just saying that doesn't mean SC players are going to change their vocabulary. It's like how some people call advanced "t2", even though there is no t2 in PA.
  7. shotogun

shotogun Member

Supcom was based heavily on TA itself.
  8. poofriend

poofriend Member

i know the history mate. i played TA when it first came out. and SC after that. PA is designed with the playability/philosophy of TA in mind. with some elements of SC, mainly just the zoom feature.

regardless, they have decided to call the resource metal, in honour of The Great Game.
  9. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Summary of post:

[​IMG]
  10. poofriend

poofriend Member

11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

People will use whatever they are most comfortable with, you're no different int hat regard.

Mike
  12. microwavelazer

microwavelazer Member

From my perspective, these terms are just Words that imply a meaning. I don't see the need to tie them to an specific origin. just because I call something a rush tactic does not mean I am referring to a Zergling Rush. An Engineer is just a mobile unite that can build structures. As long as the message makes sense I see no reason not to use the words that convey it.
    Either that or convince all the Halo Fan boys that they did not invent Teabagging.
  13. poofriend

poofriend Member

the devs gave things names, why don't we use them, and not the terms of another game?
  14. soghog

soghog Member

I don't have any personal preference, but I think for the sake of clarity you stick with the in-game names to prevent confusion. Not everyone who plays this game is a TA/Supcom veteran, so they'll be confused as hell when you start referring to units as peewees or k-bots.
  15. microwavelazer

microwavelazer Member

A while back the Developers changed the name of the Assault Bot from the Scamper to the Dox. Whether or not this was a good or a bad change for the first few days to describe the bot as the Scamper instead of Dox. Despite the fact that there was no longer a Scamper. This is because people understood what you are talking about faster. people did not yet recognize the Assault bot as the Dox. They did not know what a Dox was. Its the same thing here. Its not about what the developers call it. Its about getting a message a across. If the Developer names are less confusing by all means use them. but if the Developers call the Anti-Nuke a filibuster I think I will still call it an Anti-Nuke
  16. poofriend

poofriend Member

and what message do you think the devs are making when they call the resource "metal" and not "mass"?
  17. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

I wounder what the OP will do when he hear me say "I am playing TOTAL" when I talk to my friends referring to PA
    LOL. priceless look on his face.

btw, do not forget the D-Gun
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

poofriend, the problem you're having is that you're trying to tell people that they're wrong and expect them to use the terminology you find most accurate, but there isn't any way to force that onto people.

People will use whatever terms they are comfortable with, and that's fine, it it means getting involved with or invested into the game is easier for them and trying to tell them they're wrong for using what works for them isn't going to make it any easier for them.

I've been trying to use the official terms because I know I'm going to spend a lot of time with PA, and it's difficult because I spent 5+years modding SupCom so those terms are kinda hardwired at this point, not to mention I never had TA set that foundation, for me SupCom came First, I only learned about TA as a result of SupCom(back in the late nineties I was more into Metal Fatigue to be frank) and regardless of whether PA is more so TA or SupCom inspired doesn't matter in the same way you don't tell the father that his biological Son "isn't his" for whatever reason.

Even the Developers aren't immune to this, sure guys from the Cavedog days have worked on both SupCom and Ta, but at the end of the day some might just be more comfortable with SupCom terminology if only because it was the more recent and longer(if I recall correctly) project while others that joined on in the SupCom era of GPG only have that as a frame of reference. In the end whether it's a developer or a player, they will use whatever works best for them.

Mike
  19. poofriend

poofriend Member

it's disrespectful to the devs imho

i will continue to use the terms the devs chose, and chastise those who don't.

and it's really not that hard to change a term you're used to. we're not complete mongos.
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Don't worry, as we move towards release, there will be more and more people calling things the way devs named them.

In any case, are you really happy calling engineers fabbers?