Making People Giants

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by greenwalls100, March 29, 2011.

1. greenwalls100

greenwalls100 New Member

I doubt this would work but you know how orchard farmers only plant seeds from the best fruit thus making the DNA and Genes and all that stuff make a good tree making better fruit. That goes for a lot of things in this world... like cows and chickens and pigs etc. Now take that idea and use it for people, this is extremely wrong and stuff but its just hypothetical. If we killed all the short people and only kept people that grew to be about 6 foot and above by the age of 16 or so, wouldn't after a looooong time everybody would get to be really tall because of the genes and stuff.

P.S.
    I have nooo idea what im talking about so i could be completely wrong, just an idea though.

Don't somehow make a flame-war out of this either.....
  2. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher New Member

im 6"0 .. dont want to be any taller
  3. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

4. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

It's entirely possible, though our organ systems cannot work properly past 8 feet tall.
  5. greenwalls100

greenwalls100 New Member

Just Im 6'1 and it's kind of annoying wish i was like 5'6 or somewhere average for my age but whatever, comes in handy too.
  6. ThePRLPer

ThePRLPer New Member

Same thing I was thinking
  7. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Tall people have existed before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow (Same birthday as mine, except for the year.)

Humans are not designed to be that tall, which is why he died an early death.
    The human nervous system is not designed to transmit signals that far. He had no feeling in his feet, which is why he didnt notice his foot braces cutting into his skin, which caused the infection that killed him.

Also of note is the reason he needed braces in the first place.
    As a bone grows, its strength grows linearly, but its weight grows exponentially. Same with the rest of the body.
    That means if you are linearly scaling any object up, there will be a point where it will no longer be able to support itself.
    Bones have not only the job of supporting themselves but also all the meat above them, and so his ankles were simply unable to cope with the exponential weight gain (nearly 500 pounds).

For the human design to work as a giant, it would need much pudgier limbs. That would not be very attractive

In addition, the taller you are, the slower your reactions.
    It simply takes longer for the signal to get to its destination and back. The human nervous system is extremely slow, and can cause noticeable differences even in the humans of today.

As giants, we would all suck a video games, and we would be quite fat/pudgy.
    Not such a bright future there.

L. Spiro
  8. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

Isn't average height slowly increasing? I'm probably just misinterpreting something I barely remember, but I swear I recall reading some figures that people just a few centuries ago were notably shorter.
  9. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

It is and they were.

But if our design remains the same, there is a cap on how tall we can grow.
    We grow taller because tall people are breeding.
    But they can only breed because they are still alive. Once they get to certain heights, fewer of them will remain alive and fewer of them will be breeding. And we will simply stop getting taller.

But we have a way to go before that happens.
    However, the height we can reach naturally does not constitute the word giant.

To reach that height, naturally or otherwise, our bodies will have to realize that our bones need to be thicker to maintain a proper strength-to-size ratio.

L. Spiro
  10. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

You should probably avoid making topics when you're higher than a kite attached to the International Space Station.