Make terrain heights easier to read

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by superouman, August 20, 2015.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

The addition of terrain heights makes the game much more interesting but there are some visual flaws.

All the terrain height have the exact same color and it often makes them hard to read.
    An easy fix would be to give plateau CSGs a high gamma to the color of the textures like on the next picture. I added 0.30 to the gamma per terrain level. This would fix organic plateaus.

pa terrain heights.jpg

original picture
    PA 2015-08-20 14-41-03-73.jpg

This wouldn't work on artificial plateaus which already have a very bright default color like on the moon. It would be better to make the textures darker (Gamma +0.20 per terrain level)
    pa moon textures.jpg

original picture
    PA 2015-08-20 14-53-34-15.jpg

Attached Files:

2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You're a genius.

Uber PLEASE this is so awesome and probably not even that hard to do.... yeah I know let me hope
    cdrkf, Remy561 and squishypon3 like this.
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Nah i just have 10 years of amateur and semi-pro level design experience. Readability is one of the most important aspect in level design
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I vote yes!
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

What a superbly simple suggestion, the beauty is that without seeing the first image I almost thought these were just in game shots- it's subtle enough to not stand out, but it sure is much more readable :)
  6. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I'd suggest that the texture itself be changed, leaving the ramp as an area where it can transition (so you don't get hard lines at the base of the ramp). A different kind of texture could be used without making it overly bright as well (the contrast of the plateaus in that first image look pretty out of place).