Make Overhead Map Available?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Skull Man, February 13, 2011.

1. Skull Man

Skull Man New Member

Hey Guys,

I absolutely love the game. One thing that I think would be very useful in-game and also fairly easy to implement from a coding perspective - would it be possible to have the overhead map (the one that appears after you die) always available to the players? Perhaps we could make it so it pops up when a player hits the tab button (both the scoreboard and a miniature map would pop up). It would be a useful tool, knowing where bots are on the map as well as both team's turret-situation, and it would make it so constantly checking the map would put you at a disadvantage...since it takes you out of the game for a moment of course. If you're worried about revealing locations of snipers and such, maybe the map could only show bots and turrets and skip the players.

I mean, unless this omission was intentional in order to keep players on their toes, players who never die, like me, would be very greatful =P
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This is actually pretty accurate.

Uber said that had a minimap early on but removed it.
  3. Skull Man

Skull Man New Member

hmm...well, that makes sense. It would be cool if a certain class, like Support, was enabled to see the map at least - after upgrading his default skill level to two or three. That would incentivize team communication, since the Support-player would be shouting instructions to his teammates. I dunno - sounds fun to me at least =D
  4. BulletMagnet

If my memory serves correctly, it was removed because people would just rely on the map to see where the bots are. They'd play the map instead of the game.

You can still use communication to work out where everything is, you just wouldn't have a hierarchy. Instead of one person commanding, everyone supports each other.
  5. XyzKiller

XyzKiller New Member

I'd enjoy it even if it was just showing you where team mates were specifically. :p
  6. Flaren

Flaren New Member

Agreed on the need minimap, and understandable it was removed if it wasn't used properly. However the main reason I'd suggest one is needed would be to let you know a turret or your moneyball is under attack. As of right now there's absolutely no indication and it feels like that's completely missing. Maybe something like a simple popup over the turret(s) or moneyball under attack and a vocal notification from pitgirl would work instead and fill that role without having people, as a previous posted mentioned, play the map. This would especially help supports be able to lane without being constantly paranoid that a level 3 rock-it is going to get destroyed without any indication to let them come back and heal the turret/deal with the player harassing it and also aid teams in not getting steamrolled by one player in their base destroying every turret while they're elsewhere.
  7. BulletMagnet

The flashing health bar is indication.
  8. Flaren

Flaren New Member

There's a flashing health bar? When you're outside your base and not near the turret? Huh, never noticed that if it's right. Never even noticed a health bar unless I was healing it as a support and even then it's really small compared to what you'd expect. Still though, a vocal cue would be greatly appreciated because checking behind you to look at your base constantly is a bit ridiculous.
  9. PKC

PKC New Member

he was talking about the money ball. it has a little shield icon to let you know if the shield is up, and its health bar flashes when taking damage.
  10. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

moneyball shields and health are in the HUD
  11. Musica

Musica New Member

I dont like it. When I die i often see the map we have there and call out for reinforments on the right or left if i see bots breaking in.

If I could look at this while running around I would be able to keep on top of every bot and keep every long shot turret down.

Having to get visual conformation and communicate to your team to deal with threats is a good part of it I think.