Macro/Micro for competitive /non competitive games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Bhaal, August 17, 2012.

1. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Hi, I dont understand why people say you dont need to be as fast as in starcraft or other micro intensive games.

In my opinion it is just wrong and a lie because to be the best of the best you have to be faster than in any other game!

In Games like Supcom or TA you have a lot more units to manage. This means lots of macro and even more on bigger maps.
    You have to be very fast to keep everything going on your different bases, organizing fights and unit movement.
    In addition you can improve your skill by microing every single unit to dodge incoming shells. 1 unit could beat several other units of the same type with the right micro, which is impossible in games like Starcraft!
    In other games you cant get better at a certain APM level, but in games like Supcom or Ta you can improve drastically.

The true story for non competitive gameplay is that you dont have to be very good at micro , but if you want to win against good people you have to be fast as hell.
    I know that strategic decisions and good unit movement are very important too, but at high level unit micro is necessary.

And @ Uberent please dont make the same mistake GPG did with supcom, which they advertised as slow paced game. It crippled the competitive scene because people did not know how it was really played. And the people who thought it was a slow game got smashed and rushed in ranked games.

I like the design so far and hope you will encourage competitive gameplay.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Personally, I think you have to be fast, but mainly smarter than others.

Lots of macro requires lots of clicking, very true... but lots of clicking isn't micromanagement.

Micromanagement is telling your units to; "walk forward 17 steps, then stop, then turn to the right, shoot something for no greater than 4.3 seconds, and then go over there."

When people say they don't like micro, they're saying they don't like the above.
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Exactly. You need to be fast but not fast and driving individual units, fast at executing your high level strategy.
  4. ferigad

ferigad Member

Well i dont think slowdown in SupCom was a bad idear. It was a free choice for ppl who wanted to do it. I played myself SC1 and 2 to the death, and its not that extreme with macro or micro. Specially the SHIFT-Leftclick system for Build helped a lot to get the level of clicks down. That was the good thing behind SC. Ppl could play small maps, or big maps with slow-down if they wanted it, and so on.

Tell you the truth. I was never a macro or micro kind player. Still i beated with my mate druckwelle regulary the enemys. We simply send out small unit clusters in the beginnin and throwed the enemy off-balance. Thats not even macro-managment. Its just Tactics.

And yes, there was ppl who could improve the strength of there units by micro-management. But the only real unit where you could do that, was when you used a Unit that had a longer Range then the enemy. And that advantage was quickly gone, because a standart unit that had usely a longer range, but was also bound only to ground, like mobile artelerys.

If you throw your enemy off-balance, you got him. But you dont have to be good in macromanagment to do that, and you dont have to be a big micro-manager. And you can do it even with 1 screen. The only thing you must do is build a base and attack at the same time. But like i sayed, with shift-leftclick you could give your builders some larger patterns where they needed there 5-10 minutes.

And lets face it, if you play in a ESL kind of way, you have to be a talent and to have a nice reaction time. Its not a bigger difference then a FPS ESL based game. But at some point, when you got massiv unit amounts, even the best micromanager in SC couldnt do anythin more then to run for his live. If you cant beat him with micro, beat him with a sh*tload of guns.
  5. raptorbones

raptorbones New Member

Don't get me started on DOW2 micro. While it wasn't that bad in terms of amount of units, using all their abilities and dodging your opponents was hell, especially when you play 3v3's and your teammates are derps.
  6. illusives

illusives New Member

Best macro oriented game i have played so far was R.u.s.e by Eugen and there was some kind of micro too that was needed to perfect the game (for instance having all your anti-air cannons in one place for arty to bombard was not the smartest move) and if this game will have similar feel to it then i am completly sold.