Mac Gameplay

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by shesmer, September 28, 2013.

1. shesmer

shesmer New Member

I am running PA on a Retina Mac and noticed two really annoying things so far
    1) There is no full screen. Any combination with ENTER (Alt, Ctrl, Cmd, Fn, Shift) doesn't do anything. I also used FULLSCREEN in the settings and the game is not in full screen
    2) Roaming around in the world with just the trackpad is impossible. Without the middle click hold and drag you cannot play seriously. I can either use the trackpad or the keyboard to move around.

Both of those need to be fixed at some point in my view as it can't be a requirement to buy a mouse with a third button just to efficiently play that game.

So far...
    carlorizzante likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm running into both of these issues. There needs to be another option for scrolling around other than the middle mouse button (which not everyone has) and the arrow keys.

Full screen or any shortcuts for that matter, won't work for me.

This probably should be in the bug reports though.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Fullscreen is only work on Windows for now.
  4. ilpoldo

ilpoldo New Member

I had a look around the forum and landed here, I instinctively thought that multitouch would allow me to travel around the map, but I ended up plugging in a logitech mouse to play.

For apple laptops, trackpads and magic mouse the default "multitouch" behaviour could cover moving around the map (two finger scroll), zooming (pinch) in and out and right click (two finger tap/lower right tap) I thought being an OS-level feature it was going to make it's way into the game almost automatically but it looks like it might just be really hard to implement.

It would make for a great experience for mac players though!

Le
  5. chrisjshull

chrisjshull Member

Yeah, just got into the beta and the lack of trackpad support for controls makes this completely unplayable.

(Doesn't help that any setting change also breaks the renderer.)
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I don't know why nobody ever brought this up, but I hope this is allowed.

That one guy did bring up his center mouse support issue, and that turned into a negative thread about "who doesn't own a 3 button mouse in this day and age?" I didn't know he was specifically referencing the Mac.
  7. guyvert1

guyvert1 New Member

+1 on all the comments on apple magic mouse.. One wrong move and you're zoomed off somewhere..No beta testing for me till fixed...
  8. Manwolf

Manwolf Member

I'm playing with a magic mouse and its okay, got used to scroll with arrow keys.
    that multitouch function would be fantastic, but i highly doubt its manageable... not even google chrome has found a way to get they browser zoomed in by double-tab yet, so.... i really dont see it coming for PA.

guys, reduce your mouse scroll sensitivity to a minimum in the options, its pretty much bearable, just dont zoom in too far, otherwise you'll find yourself swiping to zoom out for quite a while ;)
    ps: the sensitivity (as i have read in another thread SOMEwhere) derives from the OSX, not PA! which is very believable as i have run into that zooming terror in other games too previously...
  9. narles

narles New Member

I am definitely annoyed at the lack of feature parity between the Windows version and the Mac version. Still not having full screen support makes it so, if I want to play, I have to restart my computer from my Boot Camp partition. Does anyone know if there is an ETA on when the Mac version will get full screen support? The game also seems to run much better when I am playing the Windows version from my Boot Camp partition.

I too would appreciate better apple trackpad support. I have been plugging in a three button mouse to play but, for quick games on the go, I would rather be able to have the option of using my trackpad to play the game.
  10. twon23

twon23 New Member

+1 with the track pad issues and full screen. I can not play the came with my track pad. It would be great if you could use the multi touch to zoom in and out. Really hope they sort it out.
  11. fragal0t

fragal0t New Member

I'm both a Windows and Mac user and initially had been playing this on my PC for a week and got used to playing it with a normal keyboard and mouse with a scroll wheel (cept middle mouse button i hate using since it's my scroll wheel.. akward). I've always loved my MBP's large touchpad and figured it would be perfect for PA, but alas...

Cam controls are crazy. It either zooms into close or way out too far with the slightest gesture on my touchpad (using two finger scrolling). I tried to lower the zoom speeds and mouse sensitivity and it's made no difference at all. I've even tried to increase camera "friction" and it's not made any difference. Moving the mouse cursor around, selecting units, issuing order, all works fine, but it's camera zooming in and out that's madding.

As for proper fullscreen, other cross platform games I also help beta test have the same issues since Mavercks had been released. Apple's concept of "full screen" keeps changing every time Apple releases a new OS (since 10.7 Lion) so once Apple figures out what "fullscreen" is, then perhaps game Devs can fix this issue.
  12. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I bought a 7 $ mouse for gaming, and I'm very happy with that. It solves most of the issues.

But I agree that the touch pad has a great potential and that should be exploited.
  13. spuffles

spuffles New Member

Lowering scroll speed and removing inertia form Accessibility->Mouse & Trackpad->Trackpad options Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 8.22.09 PM.png helps.