Low FPS. my computers not THAT slow, is it?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by blizz003, June 8, 2013.

1. blizz003

blizz003 New Member

its a Core i7 with a 1GB ATI HD5700 and 16GB RAM.
    playing with the window maximized I'll get about 10 FPS once there are units about.
    with the window at half size I get about 12 FPS. With the window the size of a cellphone I get 15 FPS. Changing the settings from Low to Uber will only effect the FPS by about 3 or 4.
    any thoughts?
  2. Nelec

Nelec Member

I wouldn't worry. Alpha optimization for any game is pretty much non existent.

All I can say, is that the performance WILL improve in the future.
  3. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

Probably just not optimised for your setup yet. I'm running an AMD FX6300 hex and it runs very smooth with the only stuttering coming from the simulation. FPS stays constant.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Really looks like your Videocard is the limiting factor at the moment, but Alpha is Alpha. It's very raw... it'll get better soon.

(hopefully)
  5. SlightlyGrilled

SlightlyGrilled New Member

Yeah as Nano said, that graphics card is VERY underpowered for your rig and as the game seems to be GPU limit at the moment it will hold you back, which 5700 is it? 5750? or 5770? and if performance is bad, you could consider overclocking your GPU.
  6. mangatank

mangatank New Member

That doesn't look like an under-powered system to me. It's just a case of un-optimized code. I'm running on my back-up PC right now (my main machine being in for repair), and with just over 4 gig memory, an Intel Core 2 and an Nvidia GTX 480 on W7 64bit, I'm getting the same sort of performance as you.

By the time we reach Beta, performance levels with be right up. After all, there's very little graphical bling in here as yet (though some lovely hints at what's to come), so you shouldn't be struggling with that card.

It'll be fine.
  7. jilpi

jilpi New Member

Try _not_ playing in full-screen mode. It's odd, but it seems performances are much better in a large window occupying 99% of the screen than in full-screen.
  8. SlightlyGrilled

SlightlyGrilled New Member

Ok, your right with the game being un-optimized at the moment, however your GTX 480 is much faster than a 5770:
    A 470 scores 4329
    A 5770 (which is the faster of the 5700 series) scores 1681
    Quite a difference. Here is the benchmark results:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... ce+GTX+480
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... +5770&id=6

I also found a comparison of the GTX 470 (which is slower then the GTX 480) Vs a 5770:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=519

So while the game is in an un-optimized state at the moment, his graphics card is still fairly weak, compared to the rest of his rig, he has a huge amount of RAM, a top end Intel processor, even if it is a first gen I7, its still top end, then he has a low end, 2 generation old graphics card.
    where as you have a top end card from, 2 generations ago, (not counting the new very high priced 770 and 780).
    The AMD naming scheme goes with fastest being first:
    X990 <-- this is kind of a joke card, very expensive, is just 2 X970 in Crossfire on 1 card
    X970
    X950
    X870
    X850
    X770
    X750
    So his card is far down the list.

If any of this is wrong feel free to correct me, it to early in the morning to think straight.
  9. greppy

greppy Member

I had the same problem with my far end system.

I solve the FPS issue by stretching my window out, rather than maximizing it.

:geek:
  10. honvik

honvik New Member

I wouldnt worry about it.

I got a laptop MSI with an I7 12gb ram GTX670 with 3gb ram and its a snail's pace!!
  11. geopirate

geopirate New Member

Not trying to sound like a fan-boy here, but Nvida has been producing more stable drivers for a few years now. The contrast is even more noticeable on mac/linux.
  12. Daddie

Daddie Member

Guys.. thing is that every GFX card has certain hardware acceleration, everything else needs to be "simulated". Right now the Alpha uses certain 3D stuff and not all GFX cards have the hardware acceleration needed to give some decent fps. Normally games give the player the option to turn graphics on and off based on their gfx card. But right now the Alpha does not give these options yet (maybe some config file hidden in the game files).

So basically, don't worry.. It sucks to have a low fps during the beginning of the Alpha due to your gfx not supporting hardware acceleration for the 3D stuff PA is dishing out. But my guess is that Uber will improve their settings screen, giving the option to turn certain 3D stuff off.

edit: Right now you can change some graphics. Turn off the Shadows and Headlights for now which will improve fps for some older gfx cards.