Lore of Game

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by mechaphantom, May 4, 2013.

1. mechaphantom

mechaphantom New Member

I been trying to find out some info on the lore of the game. I understand all the humans long dead and the robots still fighting. But I'd like to know why they still fighting. Do the different armies represent different countries, are they fighting just because the other robots slightly different? Do the robots have intelligence or they just mindless drones attacking each other endlessly?

If this a repost sorry rad a bunch of forums and just joined so new to this info.

Would almost be better in my opinion if there were different races of robots. Like they old robots and the new ones trying to replace them, those are the ones from a different planet or race, those right there were made by rebels against some government or something.

To me that more interesting then they fight that's what they do. I was already told there not going to be a single player but is there going to be some way to learn more about the story and lore? Is there going to be some kind of ending scene where one army finally brings an end to the war or is like war hammer 40k the war never ends?
  2. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

There are no "other races". and i'm fairly(100%) certain up till mods, there will be none.
  3. slavetoinsurance

slavetoinsurance Member

Yeah, as far as lore is concerned, the kickstarter video has everything you'll ever need to know. :p

I know very early on (like late last year) people were throwing around their ideas for lore and campaign stories and stuff like that, but uber has made it very clear that there's going to be no campaign and only one faction. The galactic war is a compromise that allows players to generate a set of "missions" of a sort, which are really just maps that may or may not have different initial conditions and/or constraints.

The reason for this is, as I'm sure you've heard, those two things are the easiest to cut from development to save time and money, as they're nonessential to a working game and they're rather expensive.

With the extent that the game is supposed to be moddable, though, it should be possible (though not trivial) for users to create their own campaigns with additional factions and units.

EDIT: also, "no campaign and only one faction" only holds true as far as development to release is concerned. Uber may make the decision in the future to create an expansion that includes those things, if they find it with their while.
  4. lorddesire

lorddesire New Member

I honestly hope they'll introduce a little backstory.
    Even if it's just what the different commanders do better, and why they have the designations.
  5. jallen9000

jallen9000 New Member

Do we know if there will be one commander unit per player per game or that we will be able to field several?

On the small planetary scale one would probably be enough and any more than that coupled with the special ability would probably bring the game back to micromanaging which Uber is trying to avoid. But on the galactic scale, where you have multiple planets spread thinly across the void, it would make sense to have several commanders leading the army on that particular planet/solar system.
  6. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

At best, the only backstory/lore we'll get are the intro movie/clips like in Sins of a Solar Empire. Its a shame but i rather uber focus on gameplay.
  7. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I hope there is no story at all. As in literally none. It's a game about robots smashing planets and blowing stuff up. I don't need them to have a reason for it.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There's always going to be SOME kind of story, simply because things are happening and it's going to be explained. Some of it is going to be created by high tier backers, in the form of custom Commanders, units, and planets. Some of it has been evolved by the community, in the form of fanfics and assorted flavors of citrus. The rest will be whatever Uber adds in the form of map choices, decals, earthly throwbacks, and lore.
  9. fire1865

fire1865 New Member

I think uber wouldn't be going for in depth lore in this game because they are saying they want to focus mainly on gameplay and making it fun, so they might explains omething in the release but dont expect to see another Mass Effect.

But to be honest I don't think a rts game needs hardcore lore, it kinda draws players away from the actual gameplay.
  10. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

Yes, particularly if there is no campaign, then lore is mostly unnecessary. A little bit of background story would be good, but it should probably be fairly minor, and definitely not as important as gameplay.
  11. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

It would be awesome if Uber permitted some kind of controlled environment for select (read: lucky) individuals that have the privilege to create the lore in Uber's place (and obviously they don't need to get paid for that; they get paid in 'IFeelSpecial!' points.) Then someone from Uber reads the lore to see if its serviceable, then... that's it. They could simply label it as "official" and then that stuff would go on the Planetary Annihilation Wiki and whatnot.

P.S. On a more serious note... it would be EXCELLENT if it's the kind of lore that can explain why mods happen, and why so and so occurs (kinda like the whole comics Multiverse thing!). Whatcha guys think? :D
  12. dietshnurd

dietshnurd New Member

I think that the fact that self replicating war machines in the far future are compelled to fight even after their creators have been long gone is strangely compelling by itself.
  13. warlockgs

warlockgs Member

QFT.

Says right in the video that this is a war raging on long after the humans who started it are dead, and the purpose has long been forgotten. There's just... war. And that's all I need.
  14. mechaphantom

mechaphantom New Member

I still want to know why the robots are fighting each other, shouldn't they all be on the same side? What made them split into colors and fight? That all I asking.
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There is lore being worked on. In fact quite a bit that goes well beyond what we even need for the game.
  16. mechaphantom

mechaphantom New Member

That good news to me, thanks.
  17. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

That is certainly unexpected, but very awesome. :mrgreen:
  18. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

AWESOME I WANT TO HEAR THE NARATOR MOAR!!
  19. lorddesire

lorddesire New Member

Could I ask for some points that you will be covering?
    Or am I going a little too far?
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

lorddesire,
    Basic lore for the approximate Timeline and Important Events.
    +
    Detailed lore for the history of each of the independent Commanders.

There you go.