Long range artillery?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sepoquro, March 9, 2013.

1. sepoquro

sepoquro New Member

I think this game needs artillery: both fixed artillery batteries and mobile artillery.

Discuss.
  2. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

i don't think mobile artillery is a good idea, artillary that maybe can slowly alter which direction it can shoot maybe, but not that it can move where ever you please. long range would maybe be good as a expensive upgrade
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

.......what's there to discuss? If you've seen the Whitebox Unit Sheets either in the Backer Lounge or the most Recent Livestream it's pretty clear Artillery of various types is being worked on.

Mike
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

So far we've seen stationary artillery, naval artillery, orbital artillery, and super weapon artillery. There is no shortage of large guns.

Some tiny units also have upward facing guns, but they're wee little mortars. It's not really comparable to manly, chest-haired artillery.
  5. dude86

dude86 Member

It would seem to me that arty is a basic unit in most rts games. So yeah I would expect there to be arty, stationary and mobile.

Arty's main purpose would remain base attacks from range. So I would expect arty to be slow and have some kind of deploy time before firing, that should probably go at least for the heavier arty.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I just found out the drill they are shipping to Seattle to make the tunnel on the waterfront is named BERTHA!
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

:shock: :D
  8. jeanmicarter

jeanmicarter Member

Looking forward to hearing Howard's interpretation of the Big Bertha FX, the enemy commander needs to pee himself upon hearing it!
    In terms of design I would love to see something units (and players) actually worship :D
    Kneel before Big Bertha!
  9. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

yeah, looking forward to that as well. Also, I hope to see some nice artillery recoil animation. I loved how the big bertha looked abd sounded in TA.

Hopfully we will see tanks (and other units) shaking when fireing the ballistic and rockets. SC kind off missed to let me feel the force and power behind all the fireing. I hope uber will pay attention to these little details
  10. syox

syox Member

Just as for planes i think reality beats the game:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerhaubitze_2000#section_1
  11. Gkaruk

Gkaruk New Member

How about a long range artillery shell which is plasma sphere weapon (http://riddick.wikia.com/wiki/Conquest_Icon) in Chronicles of Riddick the Necromonger enemy use?

Picture a cannon firing a long range shell, which when 10-20 meters above the ground stops in the air and splits into many micro spheres forming a sphere of dots, then a second later expands out then in back inwards like implosion creating a shock wave.
  12. muunda

muunda New Member

I would really be worried about the balancing of artillery in this game, it could easily become something like in subcom 2 were once your enemy starts artillery you have to put 50% of your resources into shields and rebuilding after the constant destruction. It seems like artillery could either be way to powerful, or completely useless.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well there is no shields, stealth to hide from radar and thus targeting by radar, no map crossing artillery, and power costing shots by artillery.

So the supcom 2 situation won't happen.
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Shields blocked all forms of damage. It caused huge problems mostly because it tied every single weapon together into a single damage hierarchy(which Supcom was NOT prepared for), but also because the shield's own numbers were pretty screwed up. I don't care WHAT game you're making. Giving something a 400% attribute bonus under ANY conditions (hello resetting shields) is a blatant red flag.

Defense systems are still appropriate for PA. Pay per block systems can work just as well as freebie defenses, but can feel pretty one dimensional if that's their only purpose. Don't expect to see an all encompassing defense like shields, unless a unit totally absolutely NEEDS perfect defense and can not accept anything less.
  15. rakasob

rakasob New Member

It would be awesome if they'd add huge artillery that would need more metal than energy to use.
  16. syox

syox Member

this+fast hit and run aircrafts
  17. muunda

muunda New Member

I really like the artillary director but it should also have an anti shell system to counter the incoming shells