Location of Health Meter

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by joshdale, August 12, 2010.

1. joshdale

joshdale New Member

Is it just me or is the display of your own health kinda distracting or difficult to distinguish from opposing players/robots. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have an indicator kinda like a HUD or meter bar on the bottom/top of the screen. What do y'all think?
  2. Qbakies

Qbakies New Member

I'm not crazy about the placement either.
  3. TrMako

TrMako New Member

Yeah, it does seem strange to me that a shooter game would display your health in the center of the screen... pretty much right where you're trying to aim and look. I sometimes get my own health bar mixed up with an enemy or teammate around me.

I suppose they tested the usual health displayed in the corner or somewhere off to the side in the HUD and decided against it for some reason? Or maybe not and enough people will complain to change it. :lol:
  4. joshdale

joshdale New Member

Gotta love the community forums :D
  5. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

yeah i think it gets in the way too much. it could be put over the juice bar when being hit since you don't really need to see the middle of the juice bar. i dunno i would welcome a change to its placement
  6. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We had the health bar higher on the screen and one the side at different points of production. From feedback from new play testers is that they never saw it or never knew how much health they had. So we moved it to its current location and all those complaints went away.
  7. Qbakies

Qbakies New Member

I find that it gets in the way. Especially since I play Support most of the time, I find it gets in the way when I'm healing my firebase or other players.
  8. joshdale

joshdale New Member

Cool, I knew there must have been a reason for it. From my experiences in shooters tho, it just seems more "natural" for it to be on the bottom part of the screen. But, if it's not a consensus of concern for most, then I guess I can learn to use it in its current location. Would it be a huge update to change it or "customize" it in a menu option???
  9. TrMako

TrMako New Member

Would it be too much to ask to have the location of the health bar be an option selectable for each player? Just like sensitivity and inversion settings, just a toggle for whether you want your health bar over your character or somewhere else like a normal HUD would be?
  10. PrivateJohn

PrivateJohn New Member

It does get confusing...I would like it to be changed as well.
  11. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Just so both sides of the argument are present, I love where it's at. Yes, there are some times when it gets in the way, but I love how I can easily keep tabs on it without taking my eyes off of the action. I can be focusing on where I'm shooting and still see my health bar.
  12. joshdale

joshdale New Member

There's definitely some benefits to having the heath meter where it is right now...it's just really hard to keep from old habits. It does clutter up the screen, but it also helps you focus on the middle of the screen.
  13. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

I honestly like where it is. If I can't see it I know I'm at full health and it only pops up when I take damage. It also pops up right in front of my face without really obscuring my view so I am well aware I'm taking damage. For the most part you regen pretty fast, so as long as you aren't taking constant damage it isn't there very frequently. I would prefer it stay where it is, but I won't complain about there being an option. Nothing wrong with everyone being able to be happy ^_^
  14. ABAGOFWETSAND

ABAGOFWETSAND New Member

I personally appreciate the current position of the health bar as I'd like to know when I'm about to get fragged without having to focus on a different part of the screen. :geek:
  15. AssassinsGoneWild

AssassinsGoneWild New Member

This, I LOVE that the health bar is right in my face, it makes it easier to keep track of instead of having to look at the side of my screen just to know if I should move out of cover or not.
  16. [UBER]Hellchick

[UBER]Hellchick New Member

That was the goal, and as mentioned by Scathis before, when it was elsewhere on the screen people were missing when their health was critically low. If there's one thing I've learned in UI development it's that different people feel different things are important, so it can be hard sometimes to make all players happy when it comes to HUD design.

Having it as an option is a great idea but comes with one issue: HUDs are pretty complicated and MNC's is no exception, and any time you move one item in the HUD you have to shuffle around other items that might be competing with it in that same spot. Pretty soon you have to redesign the entire HUD to accommodate moving one item.

However! That's not to say that the option is out all together. It's good to get feedback on this so we can think about it some more. Thanks!
  17. joshdale

joshdale New Member

Thanks...yeah I understand that y'all did some extensive testing and that it might be a hassle to change what has already been designed. Thank you for hearing some of our concerns and answering them in a timely manner. Hopefully, fingers crossed, it will be an option to just switch the health meter right above the JUICED meter. :D
  18. Red Team FTW

Red Team FTW New Member

I like it as is.

But, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra option to move it.
  19. yoomazir

yoomazir New Member

I kinda like where it is, I don't need to check upper/down left my health while something happens on the other side.
    Last edited: August 13, 2010
  20. Ronin Tetsuro

Ronin Tetsuro New Member

This game moves way too fast to have the health bar in the 'traditional' location. I think it's great where it's at, and I'm wondering how much lead based paint I'd have to eat to be able to get on level with those who are confusing their own health with the health of others. Honestly.

Don't move it to appease forum rats. Remember, devs: There's plenty of respectable players that never hit the forums because they love the game the way it is.