[Linux] Large parts of the UI are missing / can't interact with UI.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by shootall, August 19, 2014.

1. shootall

shootall Active Member

I can ping but that's about it. Can't select starting place for my commander nor start annihilation. ESC doesn't bring up a menu, f5 does nothing, i can only navigate using arrow keys or scroll-zooming in and out with my mouse, click-dragging doesn't work either.

I'm on ubuntu 14.04 with nvidia drivers (331.38) and don't know if there's anything i can do to get the game playable again.

I last played before summer on 12.04 and things worked then with the occasional need to restart the game if minor details in the UI where a bit wonky.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It's odd that you can ping because it kind of sounds like the Coherent processes died. Do you have a BadAccess error in your logs by any chance? If so, it could be bug FS#2392.
    shootall likes this.
  3. shootall

shootall Active Member

Where do i find these logs? Is it PA or Ubuntu logs? (noob here, sorry for all the questions)
  4. DeathByDenim

Oh right. Sorry. You can find them in "~/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log". Alternatively, you can run PA from the command line and it will output everything to the terminal.
    shootall likes this.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

BadAccess isn't written into any log and it's not even segfault or error. E.g it's proper shotdown.
    DeathByDenim and shootall like this.
  6. shootall

shootall Active Member

My noob eyes didn't find anything interesting in the logs but i don't know if that's saying anything. Also the behaviour changed, for a while i thought it was the mouse that was the cause of the behaviour. I'm going to try to test more and get back when i have some sort of clue wtf is going on here... Thanks for the help, it's very appreciated.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You might want to try UI patch that @n00n posted on bug tracker in PA#2392
    To be fair I have no idea if missing UI parts on Nvidia have something to do with UI crash, but it's looks like all these problems caused by some bugs in shared memory usage.
    shootall likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

Oops, well according to @SXX, the error BadAccess doesn't show up in the logs, so you might want to run PA from a terminal instead.
    shootall likes this.
  9. shootall

shootall Active Member

Ok, i played a few more games and i'm not sure how much smarter i became, but here's what i think i learned...

What i first called large part of UI missing might be my misunderstanding it since it's been redesigned a couple of times since i last played. I apologise for the confusion, it's all on my end. Large parts of the UI are not visible at all times anymore.

The problem seems more like some sort of hiccup with how i can interact with the game: in most games i've played i experience some sort of lockup where i can't interact with anything anymore except the insufficient ways mentioned above. The proper wording should perhaps be something like "Large parts of the UI uncommunicative" or something similar. At one point i switched mouse just to make sure that wasn't the root of the problem. I can't reproduce this behaviour 100% but most games i play i can't finish because i get this thing where i can't interact with the UI anymore. I get stuck with the drawn out model of the box you use to select things with when you do the click-drag thing with your mouse but i can release it, the box is stuck and i can't choose anything via mouse input or keyboard input. The only thing i can do is use arrow-keys to turn planet and scroll wheel on mouse to zoom.

I am still oblivious to what is causing this and all and any advice on where i should look to find the root of this is deeply appreciated. I've been away over summer and just updated this machine from 12.04 to 14.04 and had to update some of the GPU driver repositories in the process if that is of any relevance.
    Last edited: August 21, 2014
  10. DeathByDenim

Yeah, that does sound like bug FS#2392.
    Did you try to run PA from the terminal? Did you try the UI patch by @n00n that @SXX suggested?
    shootall likes this.
  11. shootall

shootall Active Member