Linux: Diagnosing Lib Issues

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by laseek, June 18, 2013.

1. laseek

laseek New Member

There's a few tools that can help debug & diag issues with starting PA

Logs: dmesg & syslog
    dmesg -T can be run in userspace (without sudo) and should be available on most distros - otherwise you can tail -f -n 100 /var/log/syslog (change the path if needed for your distro).
    Some errors & crashes are reported system wide rather than in the PA logs - GPU & CoherentUI report outside of PA due to the way PA hooks into 'em.

Utils: file & ldd
    file <filename> shows you some simple info
    ldd <filename> shows you which linked libs it uses are how they were resolved. When an app or lib loads the libs it uses can be resolved at runtime - so you can override 'em

When gathering debug info for a bug - it's handy to include which gpu driver you're using (not just what's installed).

The quickest way of getting this I've found is
    1) Grab the bus/slot ID - passing in your card vendor
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i amd
    which will show something like:
    2) Query it for the info - passing in the info from above:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -s 01:00.0 -v
    which will show something like:

The driver currently in use is next to "Kernel driver in use" - in this case "fglrx_pci".

A little verbose - but I think it's better to enable users to find their own info :)
  2. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

This is the one-liner I used when I did techsupport for S2games and HoN. Upon release of HoN 99% of all linux related issues were downto driver issues as oppose to client issues.

Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i "opengl\|direct\|server\|client" && lspci | grep -i vga && uname -a
  3. laseek

laseek New Member

Cool - that's a handy one also eeyr - thanks