Linux Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by AlexMax, December 17, 2010.

1. AlexMax

AlexMax New Member

Is there a Linux Dedicated Server planned? I have a Linux box that runs several game servers, and I'd love to add Monday Night Combat to my lineup. :)
  2. adnans

adnans New Member

dying for this, myself
  3. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

+1, most servers run linux so imo it would be quite mandatory to have a linux server.
  4. Fabi

Fabi New Member

This is exactly the reason why I came here!
    It would be really nice to have a Linux Server.
    I guess all the public available servers are hosted with crappy Internet or they are based in the USA and not in Europe...
  5. Genocidal

Genocidal New Member

Yes please. I've got a game server in Dallas just waiting to switch over to Monday Night Combat when this becomes available.

This is something that's being worked on, right? I don't think I've seen word one way or the other if Linux servers specifically were being worked on, just dedicated.
  6. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

Starting to get worried about the silence of the devs on that subject, usually in dev language silence = "no", and it would mean a lot less good dedicated servers. Well unreal engine already has linux dedicated servers so maybe when they get the windows server working properly it will be not too much work to port that to linux.
  7. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Is there Steam or recent Unreal games that run on Linux? We haven't looked into it yet.
  8. faits

faits New Member

According to google there are linux servers for ut3 (unreal 3 engine) and tf2 (steam.) I have no personal knowledge of either, but I know we've got a number of people around here who host dedicated servers regularly, so they can probably say better.
  9. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

Unreal got linux server, just not the client engine. For the integration with steam, I think this means there is since this year? (genuine question, not a dev myself but I think steamworks is the stuff we're talking about)

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/news-article.php?id=113
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/ov_unreal.php

But maybe you would have to buy another license from epic to get the right to distribute a linux server?

The reason why we're insisting is that the vast majority of existing servers run linux, and for lots of people who could potentially host a MNC dedicated server that means they would have to buy a windows server license, or change their hosting plan. If they already run some stuff on that machine it also means they'll have to reinstall and reconfigure everything... it can curb their motivation.
  10. Qosmo

Qosmo New Member

All Valve's multiplayer games (Windows and Mac) use Linux dedicated servers. It's just so much better.